taking a screenshot fails - video experience needed

taking a screenshot fails - video experience needed

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Hello,

A vital part of my program is taking screenshots (snapshot) from videos,
played in my program (DirectShow videos, LC 8.1.4, Windows 10)

On a customer machine the snapshot doesn't work at all, it takes only a
black screen. For my limited understanding this is related to the video/
screen buffer. I tried both LiveCode options with alwaysBuffer of my
videoPlayer = true/false. Same result, black screen. This issue seems
perhaps not to be only a LiveCode issue because creating a screenshot with
other apps also only get a black screen from the video. In an older version
of my program with QT videos and older machines (up to win 7) I also
experienced this behavior on some rare machines and I found that turning the
hardware acceleration of the video card to off fixed this issue. But since
windows 10 there isn't anymore this option "hardware acceleration" in the
properties of the video adapter, which you could turn off and I didn't found
any comparable option.

Has anybody perhaps any idea, what I could look for changing the video
buffer behavior inside LiveCode or the system?

Thanks

Tiemo

AW: taking a screenshot fails - video experience needed

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Hi Bob,

what do you mean with "their AV software"? the drivers of their video
adapter? Or do you think of any other?
And what do you mean with "feature"? to suppress the ability of making
screenshots in general? Ever heard of something like this?

Tiemo

Livecode cross platform delight

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
I have been so busy recently developing an app (on Mac), I completely failed to keep up testing Windows version, probably going back 20 or so builds.  I had scripted several platform dependent variants, but never tested the features.  Stupid.

Suddenly I find myself faced with very soon running a training workshop on the app, using a mixture of BYOD machines.  Today  I woke in the early hours panicking, sweatily picturing bugs in the Windows version popping up mid workshop.

With some anxiety I launched the Windows version on XP, Vista and 10 (the terrible testing trio), and ……  it worked perfectly.  I just sat there, thinking how truly  amazing , really, really amazing that is.

Just in case anyone out there has started to take it for granted,  Livecode *is* truly amazing.

Best wishes,

David G

Re: taking a screenshot fails - video experience needed

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 1:53 AM Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> And what do you mean with "feature"? to suppress the ability of making
> screenshots in general? Ever heard of something like this?

I've seen Webroot affect what can be captured on the screen.

http://help.screensteps.com/m/authoring/l/549303-why-is-the-screen-black-when-i-try-to-capture-the-screen-on-windows

--
Trevor DeVore

Re: taking a screenshot fails - video experience needed

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Anti Virus. Some malware is designed to take screen shots and ship them off.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=13&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjuj5zR4rXTAhVps1QKHYrjD0wQFghSMAw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fsecurity.stackexchange.com%2Fquestions%2F126433%2Fdetecting-when-a-screenshot-is-taken-by-a-software-spyware-in-windows&usg=AFQjCNFV1qZmN6uQFyAfMdxw5aAvbaCUoQ&sig2=3WyqWfhyd5Te2CpGuPw1hQ

Bob S

On Apr 20, 2017, at 23:51 , Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Bob,

what do you mean with "their AV software"? the drivers of their video
adapter? Or do you think of any other?
And what do you mean with "feature"? to suppress the ability of making
screenshots in general? Ever heard of something like this?

Tiemo

Re: Livecode cross platform delight

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
+1 in behalf of my students deploying to iOS and Android devices for the first time!

Devin

On Apr 21, 2017, at 5:03 AM, David V Glasgow via use-livecode <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

I have been so busy recently developing an app (on Mac), I completely failed to keep up testing Windows version, probably going back 20 or so builds.  I had scripted several platform dependent variants, but never tested the features.  Stupid.

Suddenly I find myself faced with very soon running a training workshop on the app, using a mixture of BYOD machines.  Today  I woke in the early hours panicking, sweatily picturing bugs in the Windows version popping up mid workshop.

With some anxiety I launched the Windows version on XP, Vista and 10 (the terrible testing trio), and ……  it worked perfectly.  I just sat there, thinking how truly  amazing , really, really amazing that is.

Just in case anyone out there has started to take it for granted,  Livecode *is* truly amazing.

Best wishes,

David G

Devin Asay
Director
Office of Digital Humanities
Brigham Young University

On 4/21/17 6:03 AM, David V Glasgow via use-livecode wrote:
> With some anxiety I launched the Windows version on XP, Vista and 10
> (the terrible testing trio), and ……  it worked perfectly.  I just sat
> there, thinking how truly  amazing , really, really amazing that is.

I am constantly amazed at this. I run Windows under emulation, and only
rarely, so every time I have to test it takes forever for Windows to
update itself. As a result I rely on LC's ability to "just work" so that
I don't have to go through that too often. And except for the rare
glitch now and then, it always does.

We mostly take this for granted, which speaks to the talents of the LC team.