the external rnahello

JB

the external rnahello

JB
I am trying to write and external using XCode by following the
instructions
in the Rev newsletter which shows how to create the external rnahello.

I have done everything it said to do but when I Build the external I
get the
error:

error: There is no SDK at specified SDKROOT_ppc path '/Developer/SDKs/
MacOSX10.2.8.sdk'

Does anyone know how to correct this error so I can Build the external?

thanks,
-=>JB<=-

Re: the external rnahello

Sarah Reichelt-2
On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 1:00 PM, -= JB =- <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am trying to write and external using XCode by following the instructions
> in the Rev newsletter which shows how to create the external rnahello.
>
> I have done everything it said to do but when I Build the external I get the
> error:
>
> error: There is no SDK at specified SDKROOT_ppc path
> '/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.2.8.sdk'
>
> Does anyone know how to correct this error so I can Build the external?

I did this a while ago, and I think the key was not to try building
for anything other than Intel.
They have hard-wired a call to an old SDK into the external builder
and that SDK will not be part of a standard Developer tools install.

Cheers,
Sarah
JB

Re: the external rnahello

JB
Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the reply and info.  I tried and couldn't get it to work
properly.

When you say it needs to be compiled only for Intel does that mean I
am not going to be able to write externals for the PowerPC.

Do you know of any external code examples for XCode that will work &
are available?

regards,
-=>JB<=-

On Jun 29, 2008, at 9:38 PM, Sarah Reichelt wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 1:00 PM, -= JB =- <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> I am trying to write and external using XCode by following the
>> instructions
>> in the Rev newsletter which shows how to create the external
>> rnahello.
>>
>> I have done everything it said to do but when I Build the external
>> I get the
>> error:
>>
>> error: There is no SDK at specified SDKROOT_ppc path
>> '/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.2.8.sdk'
>>
>> Does anyone know how to correct this error so I can Build the
>> external?
>
> I did this a while ago, and I think the key was not to try building
> for anything other than Intel.
> They have hard-wired a call to an old SDK into the external builder
> and that SDK will not be part of a standard Developer tools install.
>
> Cheers,
> Sarah

Re: the external rnahello

Thierry-24
Hi,

Not knowing which platform you're using, and which version of Xcode,
it's a bit difficult to be precise enough, but just  some thoughts
from memory...

If you have an Intel platform,  I guess the 10.2.8 SDK is not on your
disk.
You have to install the package which is in the Apple Tools CDs,

or another thought; read this:

    http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2006/tn2163.html

where you could see:

     < Building for PowerPC-based Mac computers:
               Targeting Versions of Mac OS X Earlier than 10.4
               Building for versions of Mac OS X prior to 10.4
                also requires you to build using GCC 3.3.

HTH,
Thierry

>>> I am trying to write and external using XCode by following the
>>> instructions
>>> in the Rev newsletter which shows how to create the external
>>> rnahello.
>>>
>>> I have done everything it said to do but when I Build the
>>> external I get the
>>> error:
>>>
>>> error: There is no SDK at specified SDKROOT_ppc path
>>> '/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.2.8.sdk'
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how to correct this error so I can Build the
>>> external?

JB

Re: the external rnahello

JB
I am using a Mac G4 AGP with Mac OS X 10.4.11
XCode 2.5
the SDK folder has SDKs for 10.3.9 and 10.4u

 From what I read it should be using the SDK 10.4u
I went to the Configuration folder and changed the
files from SDKs 10.2.8 to 10.4u.  This did allow me
to compile it further but I ended up with about 15
more errors so it still did not work.

Does anyone know how to properly write a file that
is Configured for the 10.4u SDK or what else might
be wrong that prevents it from compiling properly.

thanks,
-=>JB<=-

On Jun 30, 2008, at 2:55 AM, Thierry wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Not knowing which platform you're using, and which version of Xcode,
> it's a bit difficult to be precise enough, but just  some thoughts
> from memory...
>
> If you have an Intel platform,  I guess the 10.2.8 SDK is not on
> your disk.
> You have to install the package which is in the Apple Tools CDs,
>
> or another thought; read this:
>
>    http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2006/tn2163.html
>
> where you could see:
>
>     < Building for PowerPC-based Mac computers:
>               Targeting Versions of Mac OS X Earlier than 10.4
>               Building for versions of Mac OS X prior to 10.4
>                also requires you to build using GCC 3.3.
>     >
>
> HTH,
> Thierry

JB

Re: the external rnahello

JB
Is it possible the stack External Creator V1.rev which creates
the Configure files etc. uses the 10.2.8 SDK in so many
places that it is impossible to correct this problem.

Sarah said it was hard-wired to make a call to the 10.2.8
SDK.  Does she mean I cannot possibly change it.  XCode
2.5 on the powerpc needs SDK 10.4u which is universal &
it sounds like even if I had the SDK 10.2.8 it would not
compile with XCode 2.5.

Does anyone know how to change the External Creator V1.rev
so it will configure everything for the SDK 10.4u.

-=>JB<=-

On Jun 30, 2008, at 2:55 AM, Thierry wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Not knowing which platform you're using, and which version of Xcode,
> it's a bit difficult to be precise enough, but just  some thoughts
> from memory...
>
> If you have an Intel platform,  I guess the 10.2.8 SDK is not on
> your disk.
> You have to install the package which is in the Apple Tools CDs,
>
> or another thought; read this:
>
>    http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2006/tn2163.html
>
> where you could see:
>
>     < Building for PowerPC-based Mac computers:
>               Targeting Versions of Mac OS X Earlier than 10.4
>               Building for versions of Mac OS X prior to 10.4
>                also requires you to build using GCC 3.3.
>     >
>
> HTH,
> Thierry

Re: the external rnahello

masmit
There is a v3 external creator - at

http://developer.runrev.com/externals/ExternalsEnvironmentV3.zip

Best,

Mark

On 30 Jun 2008, at 12:27, -= JB =- wrote:

> Is it possible the stack External Creator V1.rev which creates
> the Configure files etc. uses the 10.2.8 SDK in so many
> places that it is impossible to correct this problem.
>
> Sarah said it was hard-wired to make a call to the 10.2.8
> SDK.  Does she mean I cannot possibly change it.  XCode
> 2.5 on the powerpc needs SDK 10.4u which is universal &
> it sounds like even if I had the SDK 10.2.8 it would not
> compile with XCode 2.5.
>
> Does anyone know how to change the External Creator V1.rev
> so it will configure everything for the SDK 10.4u.
>

> -=>JB<=-
>

> On Jun 30, 2008, at 2:55 AM, Thierry wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Not knowing which platform you're using, and which version of Xcode,
>> it's a bit difficult to be precise enough, but just  some thoughts
>> from memory...
>>
>> If you have an Intel platform,  I guess the 10.2.8 SDK is not on
>> your disk.
>> You have to install the package which is in the Apple Tools CDs,
>>
>> or another thought; read this:
>>
>>    http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2006/tn2163.html
>>
>> where you could see:
>>
>>     < Building for PowerPC-based Mac computers:
>>               Targeting Versions of Mac OS X Earlier than 10.4
>>               Building for versions of Mac OS X prior to 10.4
>>                also requires you to build using GCC 3.3.
>>     >
>>
>> HTH,
>> Thierry

JB

Re: the external rnahello

JB
Thanks but the problem is the same.

I just downloaded the stack set up the
new code and after trying to Build it is
still bringing up the error it needs the
SDK 10.2.8

-=>JB<=-

On Jun 30, 2008, at 4:59 AM, Mark Smith wrote:

> There is a v3 external creator - at
>
> http://developer.runrev.com/externals/ExternalsEnvironmentV3.zip
>
> Best,
>
> Mark
>
> On 30 Jun 2008, at 12:27, -= JB =- wrote:
>> Is it possible the stack External Creator V1.rev which creates
>> the Configure files etc. uses the 10.2.8 SDK in so many
>> places that it is impossible to correct this problem.
>>
>> Sarah said it was hard-wired to make a call to the 10.2.8
>> SDK.  Does she mean I cannot possibly change it.  XCode
>> 2.5 on the powerpc needs SDK 10.4u which is universal &
>> it sounds like even if I had the SDK 10.2.8 it would not
>> compile with XCode 2.5.
>>
>> Does anyone know how to change the External Creator V1.rev
>> so it will configure everything for the SDK 10.4u.
>>

>> -=>JB<=-
>>

>> On Jun 30, 2008, at 2:55 AM, Thierry wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Not knowing which platform you're using, and which version of Xcode,
>>> it's a bit difficult to be precise enough, but just  some
>>> thoughts from memory...
>>>
>>> If you have an Intel platform,  I guess the 10.2.8 SDK is not on
>>> your disk.
>>> You have to install the package which is in the Apple Tools CDs,
>>>
>>> or another thought; read this:
>>>
>>>    http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2006/tn2163.html
>>>
>>> where you could see:
>>>
>>>     < Building for PowerPC-based Mac computers:
>>>               Targeting Versions of Mac OS X Earlier than 10.4
>>>               Building for versions of Mac OS X prior to 10.4
>>>                also requires you to build using GCC 3.3.
>>>     >
>>>
>>> HTH,
>>> Thierry

Re: the external rnahello

Trevor DeVore
On Jun 29, 2008, at 11:00 PM, -= JB =- wrote:

> I am trying to write and external using XCode by following the
> instructions
> in the Rev newsletter which shows how to create the external rnahello.
>
> I have done everything it said to do but when I Build the external I
> get the
> error:
>
> error: There is no SDK at specified SDKROOT_ppc path '/Developer/
> SDKs/MacOSX10.2.8.sdk'
>
> Does anyone know how to correct this error so I can Build the
> external?

I saw that you are using XCode 2.5. If you want to target 10.2 I think
you need to explicitly tell the XCode installer that you want to add
10.2 support. So you could try and reinstall and do a custom install.
If you just want to support 10.3 then you need to change the
SDKROOT_ppc setting in your project build settings. I'm using XCode 3
but I don't think the instructions have changed. Do the following:

1) Open Project Info using the Project -> Edit Project Settings menu
item.
2) In the window that appears select the configuration you want to
edit. I selected Release.
3) Click on the Build tab.
4) Scroll to the bottom of the settings and find "User-Defined". This
is the last section in the list for the project I'm looking at.
5) You should seek SDK_ROOT_ppc defined as /Developer/SDKs/
MacOSX10.2.8.sdk. Just change it to /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.3.9.sdk.

Hopefully that will work for you.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Learning Systems
JB

Re: the external rnahello

JB
Thanks Trevor - That solved the problem.

I still have some errors but the code compiled so
now I just have to correct my mistakes.

-=>JB<=-