the weight of an app

Alain Vezina
I sent an app for iPad to the App Store on last July and it’s weight was of 15.5 MG. It was made with LC 6.6.2.

I prepare a new version of the same app, in which I add nothing, but with LC 7.0.1 rc2 for it runs with iOS 8. This time, it’s weight is 42.4 MG. On my tests, it takes between 16 and 29 seconds before the splash screen disappears, depending on the device. So it is too long for I offer this new version to my clients.

Why the weight of an app is more than the double of what it was before?

Anybody has experimented the same problem? Anybody has found a solution?

Is it a bug?

Alain Vézina, directeur
Logilangue
514-596-1385

www.logilangue.com

Re: the weight of an app

J. Landman Gay
On 11/21/2014, 2:30 PM, Alain Vezina wrote:
> Why the weight of an app is more than the double of what it was before?

It's the huge unicode libraries, which need to be included in the build.
RR is looking into ways to reduce their size, but they are required for
all text processing now.

Re: the weight of an app

John
Might there be something else going on?  I made a simple stack (couple of buttons and a field that don’t do much) and compiled it as a standalone using LC6.7 and LC7.0.1 RC2.

The Finder shows the version compiled in LC7.0.1 RC2. is 12.9 MB while the version compiled in LC6.7 is 5.6MB.  By my math that is a difference of 7.3 MB which is presumably do to the unicode library.  The difference seen by Alain is 26.9 MB.

I have no idea why but it seems as if there is an additional 19.6 MB of something other than the unicode library.  I have no idea what it is.  It seems like a lot of extra bytes even if all of text in his app now takes multiple bytes to store.  Is image storage less efficient in LC7?

My 2 Cents,
John

> On Nov 22, 2014, at 10:36 AM, J. Landman Gay <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 11/21/2014, 2:30 PM, Alain Vezina wrote:
>> Why the weight of an app is more than the double of what it was before?
>
> It's the huge unicode libraries, which need to be included in the build. RR is looking into ways to reduce their size, but they are required for all text processing now.

Re: the weight of an app

Alain Vezina
Now I understand.
My app is a one to help people in french spelling and grammar. So I have a lot of words lists in several fields hidden to the user. I don’t want to use Internet to bring information when it is useful; it is very important that my app can be used anywhere, anytime. A data base could be a solution, but it will not be easy to build it because, in french, there are a lot of words with the same spelling not having the same meaning; for example, lime is a tool (a file) ans is also a fruit. There are also a lot of rules for the plural and the feminine forms, depending the way the word is ending, and so on. That is the reason why I used a lot of words lists.
On the other hand, I am not sure that a data base could be a good solution if the problem comes from the weight of Unicode libraries. I had no problem before I used LC 7, but I have to use it for users who upgraded to iOS 8.

Thanks a lot Jacqueline and John

Alain Vézina, directeur
Logilangue
www.logilangue.com