this session has lapsed?

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
My copy of LC 7.14 was installed activated days ago. Why am I getting "this
session has lapsed" messages, refusing to let me go on?
does this mean that LC "phones home" every time I start the app??
Unacceptable, disturbing and annoying.

sqb

--
Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
mixstream.org

Re: this session has lapsed?

Stephen Barncard wrote:

 > My copy of LC 7.14 was installed activated days ago. Why am I getting
 > "this session has lapsed" messages, refusing to let me go on?
 > does this mean that LC "phones home" every time I start the app??
 > Unacceptable, disturbing and annoying.

I don't know if this is related to that specific notice, but you can
turn off the "Check for updates" features in the "Updates" pane of the
"Preferences" window.

Re: this session has lapsed?

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
disconnecting the net allowed things to work.
But why should this happen at all?
I'd turned off "check for updates" for a long time as I run into issues
upgrading to and using 8 or 9 due to my use of three screens.

--
Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
mixstream.org

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 5:36 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Stephen Barncard wrote:
>
> > My copy of LC 7.14 was installed activated days ago. Why am I getting
> > "this session has lapsed" messages, refusing to let me go on?
> > does this mean that LC "phones home" every time I start the app??
> > Unacceptable, disturbing and annoying.
>
> I don't know if this is related to that specific notice, but you can turn
> off the "Check for updates" features in the "Updates" pane of the
> "Preferences" window.
>
> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World Systems

Re: this session has lapsed?

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Can't say.  Hopefully someone from the mother ship will chime in on this.

Stephen Barncard wrote:

> disconnecting the net allowed things to work.
> But why should this happen at all?
> I'd turned off "check for updates" for a long time as I run into issues
> upgrading to and using 8 or 9 due to my use of three screens.
>

> --
> Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
> mixstream.org
>
> On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 5:36 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
>
>> Stephen Barncard wrote:
>>
>> > My copy of LC 7.14 was installed activated days ago. Why am I getting
>> > "this session has lapsed" messages, refusing to let me go on?
>> > does this mean that LC "phones home" every time I start the app??
>> > Unacceptable, disturbing and annoying.
>>
>> I don't know if this is related to that specific notice, but you can turn
>> off the "Check for updates" features in the "Updates" pane of the
>> "Preferences" window.
>>
>> --
>>  Richard Gaskin
>>  Fourth World Systems

Re: this session has lapsed?

Mike Kerner via use-livecode

> On 6 Feb 2018, at 12:47 pm, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Can't say.  Hopefully someone from the mother ship will chime in on this.

Hi Folks

Yes I believe that there is random check for license expiry/update. Things like cancelled subscriptions happen and this accounts for that. I don’t know the complete details though.

It appears a wordpress update broke some things and it is in the midst of being fixed.

Cheers

Monte

Re: this session has lapsed?

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
subscriptions ending shouldn't kill a long installed app, no matter what
the status.
I've been told that the subscriptions are for updates and support.
If that's not true, I need to know.

sqb

--
Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
mixstream.org

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 5:55 PM, Monte Goulding via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On 6 Feb 2018, at 12:47 pm, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Can't say.  Hopefully someone from the mother ship will chime in on this.
>
> Hi Folks
>
> Yes I believe that there is random check for license expiry/update. Things
> like cancelled subscriptions happen and this accounts for that. I don’t
> know the complete details though.
>
> It appears a wordpress update broke some things and it is in the midst of
> being fixed.
>
> Cheers
>
> Monte

Re: this session has lapsed?

Mike Kerner via use-livecode

> On 6 Feb 2018, at 1:00 pm, Stephen Barncard via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> subscriptions ending shouldn't kill a long installed app, no matter what
> the status.
> I've been told that the subscriptions are for updates and support.
> If that's not true, I need to know.

Probably best to take up any licensing questions with [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Cheers

Monte

Re: this session has lapsed?

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
I don't need to ask again. What I said is what I heard from Heather.

--
Stephen Barncard - Sebastopol Ca. USA -
mixstream.org

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 6:02 PM, Monte Goulding via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On 6 Feb 2018, at 1:00 pm, Stephen Barncard via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > subscriptions ending shouldn't kill a long installed app, no matter what
> > the status.
> > I've been told that the subscriptions are for updates and support.
> > If that's not true, I need to know.
>
> Probably best to take up any licensing questions with [hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>
>
> Cheers
>
> Monte

Re: this session has lapsed?

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Stephen, I'm confused. Maybe you are too? If you have a subscription to LiveCode, it remains current for the term of the subscription. If the subscription is cancelled your access to the purchased, commercial, Indy/Business LiveCode product will cease. This has been the case since version 6.0 was released, together with the free open source Community Edition.

If you purchased an edition prior to the release of 6.0, this will not apply to that edition, the older licenses were permanent and not dependent on a subscription. All licenses later than 6.0 will phone home from time to time to check validity.

If at any point in our conversations in support I have confused you on this point, I apologise. I've read through the correspondence I have found and I do see a number of occasions when I have at least attempted to explain this. I appreciate that our licensing can be confusing at times.

Regards,

Heather

Heather Laine
Customer Services Manager