this stack gets every closeStack message

this stack gets every closeStack message

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
So I've got a mainstack (#1). It calls a different mainstack (#2) so that I
can save data like API keys in #2 stack before closing it.

When I'm in the IDE #2 stack is getting and responding to every single
closeStack message that happens, including when I close IDE windows (ex:
script editor, variable watcher, etc).

Does that mean stack #2 is being placed above everything, including the IDE
stacks, in the message hierarchy? Is there a way to have it not do that?

Re: this stack gets every closeStack message

dunbarx
This post was updated on .
Two independent stacks are at the same "level" in the hierarchy. Unless one is put into use or otherwise explicitly made to trap messages above another stack (like inserting a stack script into back, for example), I am not sure how you are seeing what you are seeing.

Can you send a "closeStack" message to your "lower" stack and trace it?

Craig Newman

Re: this stack gets every closeStack message

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
I'm not aware of a way to "trace" where a message has been and the keywords
I can think of aren't turning up anything promising in the dictionary or
google.

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 6:10 PM, dunbarx via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Two independent stacks are at the same "level" in the hierarchy. Unless one
> is put into use or otherwise explicitly made to trap messages above another
> stack (like inserting a stack script into back, for example), I am not sure
> how you are seeing what you are seeing.
>
> Can you send a "closeStack" message from your "lower" stack and trace it?
>
> Craig Newman

Re: this stack gets every closeStack message

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
Can you put a closeStack handler in the stack that seems like it ought not to be in the hierarchy, and see when it fires? Then maybe you can figure out what caused it?

Craig

[hidden email]> wrote:

> Two independent stacks are at the same "level" in the hierarchy. Unless one
> is put into use or otherwise explicitly made to trap messages above another
> stack (like inserting a stack script into back, for example), I am not sure
> how you are seeing what you are seeing.
>
> Can you send a "closeStack" message from your "lower" stack and trace it?
>
> Craig Newman

Re: this stack gets every closeStack message

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
That's already what's happening. This stack is getting every closeStack
message that happens, even the ones that fire off when the IDE's windows
close. It's just a stack opened from a file. It shouldn't be in between the
IDE's windows and the the engine.

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 9:49 PM, Craig Newman via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can you put a closeStack handler in the stack that seems like it ought not
> to be in the hierarchy, and see when it fires? Then maybe you can figure
> out what caused it?
>

> Craig

Place a breakpoint in the closeStack handler. When it fires and the
script goes into debug mode, look at the popdown menu button just to the
right of the debugging icons at the top left of the script window.
That's the execution contexts, and it tells you what path the message
took. The top line of the button list is the handler with the
breakpoint. Choosing each line in order underneath will trace the path
the message took before it reached your stack's breakpoint.

On 4/4/17 11:55 PM, Matt Maier via use-livecode wrote:
> That's already what's happening. This stack is getting every closeStack
> message that happens, even the ones that fire off when the IDE's windows
> close. It's just a stack opened from a file. It shouldn't be in between the
> IDE's windows and the the engine.

Re: this stack gets every closeStack message

Mark Waddingham via use-livecode
I think I figured it out. Thanks for the ideas about troubleshooting but
none of those rabbit holes were particularly informative.

Eventually while doing something else I went back through the dictionary
entries for the various commands that make use of external stacks. It
finally dawned on me that I had mindlessly listed this actual stack in the
same "start using" list as all of my script only library stacks. Then I was
also using "go to stack" when the user actually opened it.

So that makes sense, right? The reason it was getting every message like a
library stack is that I told Livecode to use it as a library stack. I think
I understand the different options a little better now. All I need is "go
to stack" with the file path at the moment I need the mainstack; I don't
have to include it previously or anything.