tree view hide key

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
In tree view can you hide the keys of the array?  I was messing with using
it to display directory and subdirectory contents, but it seems that you
have to display the key, which makes some other things more difficult.

Re: tree view hide key

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
No, the tree always displays the key and value.

Thanks,
Brian
On Oct 30, 2018, 3:38 PM -0500, Mike Kerner via use-livecode <[hidden email]>, wrote:
> In tree view can you hide the keys of the array? I was messing with using
> it to display directory and subdirectory contents, but it seems that you
> have to display the key, which makes some other things more difficult.

Re: tree view hide key

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
Yeah I really tried to like the tree view widget but it needs work.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 30, 2018, at 13:38, Mike Kerner via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> In tree view can you hide the keys of the array?  I was messing with using
> it to display directory and subdirectory contents, but it seems that you
> have to display the key, which makes some other things more difficult.

Re: tree view hide key

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
What kind of work?  Here are a couple that I can think of that are not
easily addressed:
- Arbitrary sort would take significant changes (a couple options:  2 part
key [1,firstkey], [2,asecondkey] or restructuring the array format to
something like [key][title], [key][value] where the title and optionally
value would be displayed and keys just used for sorting).
- Inline editing is something that LCB doesn't support.

My goal is to submit a PR today that will facilitate keyboard navigation (I
want to add a couple properties that can be controlled from LCS which can
handle the keypresses).

Several code changes are already completed and either merged (9.1) or
waiting review.
- Numeric sort will now also sort the non-number entries below the numbers
- If you select a row that is hidden by folding, it will expand to show the
row
- You can have the selected item scroll into view when selected
- When an element is added interactively, it can be configured to
auto-select the new element
- You can reset the fold state to collapse the entire tree (optionally
setting the arrayData at the same time)
- MouseUp no longer registers as a click when the MouseDown was on a
different row

I don't see anything else in the QCC for the Tree Widget that I can address
at the moment.

Thanks,
Brian

On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 5:08 PM Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yeah I really tried to like the tree view widget but it needs work.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Oct 30, 2018, at 13:38, Mike Kerner via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > In tree view can you hide the keys of the array?  I was messing with
> using
> > it to display directory and subdirectory contents, but it seems that you
> > have to display the key, which makes some other things more difficult.

Re: tree view hide key

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
• Nodes can't have both keys and values, only leaves can
• You can't hide the key
• Hiding the key is kind of important if you're trying to use it for a
directory tree view.  Working around this requires assigning keys only but
no values, but if you do that then you can't figure out (without looking at
the array) whether you are dealing with a leaf or a node.

On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 6:43 PM Brian Milby via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> What kind of work?  Here are a couple that I can think of that are not
> easily addressed:
> - Arbitrary sort would take significant changes (a couple options:  2 part
> key [1,firstkey], [2,asecondkey] or restructuring the array format to
> something like [key][title], [key][value] where the title and optionally
> value would be displayed and keys just used for sorting).
> - Inline editing is something that LCB doesn't support.
>
> My goal is to submit a PR today that will facilitate keyboard navigation (I
> want to add a couple properties that can be controlled from LCS which can
> handle the keypresses).
>
> Several code changes are already completed and either merged (9.1) or
> waiting review.
> - Numeric sort will now also sort the non-number entries below the numbers
> - If you select a row that is hidden by folding, it will expand to show the
> row
> - You can have the selected item scroll into view when selected
> - When an element is added interactively, it can be configured to
> auto-select the new element
> - You can reset the fold state to collapse the entire tree (optionally
> setting the arrayData at the same time)
> - MouseUp no longer registers as a click when the MouseDown was on a
> different row
>
> I don't see anything else in the QCC for the Tree Widget that I can address
> at the moment.
>
> Thanks,
> Brian
>
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 5:08 PM Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Yeah I really tried to like the tree view widget but it needs work.
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone
> >
> > > On Oct 30, 2018, at 13:38, Mike Kerner via use-livecode <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > In tree view can you hide the keys of the array?  I was messing with
> > using
> > > it to display directory and subdirectory contents, but it seems that
> you
> > > have to display the key, which makes some other things more difficult.

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: tree view hide key

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
Tree view displays a LiveCode array, so everything is key-value.  What you
are running up against is that the value is either a string or an array.
What are you wanting to use as a key?  How are you storing the data now
prior to presentation?

That is probably the single issue that can't be readily addressed.  If you
can represent your data as a LiveCode array where keys are sorted either
numerically or alphabetically, then the tree view widget can present the
data.  Extending the widget to hide the value would not be that difficult
though.

In the tree view, non-leaf nodes have the disclosure triangle.  Are you
talking about when you get the hilitedElement?

Thanks,
Brian

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 8:09 AM Mike Kerner via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> • Nodes can't have both keys and values, only leaves can
> • You can't hide the key
> • Hiding the key is kind of important if you're trying to use it for a
> directory tree view.  Working around this requires assigning keys only but
> no values, but if you do that then you can't figure out (without looking at
> the array) whether you are dealing with a leaf or a node.
>

> On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 6:43 PM Brian Milby via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > What kind of work?  Here are a couple that I can think of that are not
> > easily addressed:
> > - Arbitrary sort would take significant changes (a couple options:  2
> part
> > key [1,firstkey], [2,asecondkey] or restructuring the array format to
> > something like [key][title], [key][value] where the title and optionally
> > value would be displayed and keys just used for sorting).
> > - Inline editing is something that LCB doesn't support.
> >
> > My goal is to submit a PR today that will facilitate keyboard navigation
> (I
> > want to add a couple properties that can be controlled from LCS which can
> > handle the keypresses).
> >
> > Several code changes are already completed and either merged (9.1) or
> > waiting review.
> > - Numeric sort will now also sort the non-number entries below the
> numbers
> > - If you select a row that is hidden by folding, it will expand to show
> the
> > row
> > - You can have the selected item scroll into view when selected
> > - When an element is added interactively, it can be configured to
> > auto-select the new element
> > - You can reset the fold state to collapse the entire tree (optionally
> > setting the arrayData at the same time)
> > - MouseUp no longer registers as a click when the MouseDown was on a
> > different row
> >
> > I don't see anything else in the QCC for the Tree Widget that I can
> address
> > at the moment.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Brian
> >
> > On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 5:08 PM Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Yeah I really tried to like the tree view widget but it needs work.
> > >
> > > Sent from my iPhone

> > > using
> > you
> difficult.

>    and did a little diving.
> And God said, "This is good."

Re: tree view hide key

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
I was thinking about using it for a directory view.  It seemed like a
natural fit - nodes are subdirectories and leaves are files.  You can't
just limit the hiliteChanged event to leaves, so you have to be able to
determine if the user clicked on a leaf or a node, and if it's a node
behave differently than if it's a leaf.
Nodes can't have values in the tree view, so using numeric keys and setting
the values to the filenames and telling the user to ignore the keys won't
work because the subfolder name won't even appear in the tree view if you
do that.  You could fake it by appending a fake key on the front of the
subfolder name, I suppose, but we're rapidly approaching "why not just use
a table field or dg" at that point, and I really don't want the key and the
value both appearing anyway.
In order to not have a key and a value appearing you have to set the keys
to the file (and subfolder) names.  In that case, though, you don't know if
the user just clicked on a leaf or a node, unless you go back to the array
and inspect it.

Re: tree view hide key

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
You and others have addressed a lot of the work I think, and thank you for that by the way. One of the things I would like to see is something akin to findRecord and findIndex in a datagrid. Of course, finding something several levels in requires that you would need to return not just a number, but a root node with the path to the found item, so you can reference it in the future, getting and setting anything in the "path".

I wanted to create a list of items with a name and value, but then I realized I wanted to rearrange them, moving them up and down in the list. I also wanted to be able to double-click an item and put the value into another field. I call the feature "QuickNotes" where I have a pallette like stack I can double click text snippets to fill in a field with text I type often, as in a copier installation.

In the end I used a datagrid so no big deal, but it left me wondering why I would ever use a tree view. But as you mentioned a lot of work is being done on it now. I cannot switch over to 9.1 yet because I made a custom change in the datagrid behavior which allows me to nest behaviors, so until that gets bundled into a release I cannot test any new changes (at least not with my current project).

Bob S

> On Oct 30, 2018, at 15:47 , Brian Milby via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> What kind of work?  Here are a couple that I can think of that are not
> easily addressed:
> - Arbitrary sort would take significant changes (a couple options:  2 part
> key [1,firstkey], [2,asecondkey] or restructuring the array format to
> something like [key][title], [key][value] where the title and optionally
> value would be displayed and keys just used for sorting).
> - Inline editing is something that LCB doesn't support.
>
> My goal is to submit a PR today that will facilitate keyboard navigation (I
> want to add a couple properties that can be controlled from LCS which can
> handle the keypresses).
>
> Several code changes are already completed and either merged (9.1) or
> waiting review.
> - Numeric sort will now also sort the non-number entries below the numbers
> - If you select a row that is hidden by folding, it will expand to show the
> row
> - You can have the selected item scroll into view when selected
> - When an element is added interactively, it can be configured to
> auto-select the new element
> - You can reset the fold state to collapse the entire tree (optionally
> setting the arrayData at the same time)
> - MouseUp no longer registers as a click when the MouseDown was on a
> different row
>
> I don't see anything else in the QCC for the Tree Widget that I can address
> at the moment.
>
> Thanks,
> Brian
>
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 5:08 PM Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Yeah I really tried to like the tree view widget but it needs work.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Oct 30, 2018, at 13:38, Mike Kerner via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> In tree view can you hide the keys of the array?  I was messing with
>> using
>>> it to display directory and subdirectory contents, but it seems that you
>>> have to display the key, which makes some other things more difficult.

Re: tree view hide key

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
Well, testing any of the fixes would require you to download the widget and
build it as none of the 9.1 builds are out yet.

I did have an idea about manual sorting of data in a tree view.  I'll need
to bounce it around in my head a bit to see if it would be workable.  The
basic idea would be to allow sorted lists of keys to be set for a parent
node that would override the default sort.

Double click to put data somewhere else should work - that is a message
that is passed for leaf nodes.

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 6:04 PM Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> the
> > row
> > - You can have the selected item scroll into view when selected
> > - When an element is added interactively, it can be configured to
> > auto-select the new element
> > - You can reset the fold state to collapse the entire tree (optionally
> > setting the arrayData at the same time)
> > - MouseUp no longer registers as a click when the MouseDown was on a
> > different row
> >
> > I don't see anything else in the QCC for the Tree Widget that I can
> address
> > at the moment.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Brian
> >
> > On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 5:08 PM Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Yeah I really tried to like the tree view widget but it needs work.

what is the PR for this version?

On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 7:29 PM Brian Milby via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > > handle the keypresses).
> > >
> > > Several code changes are already completed and either merged (9.1) or
> > > waiting review.
> > > - Numeric sort will now also sort the non-number entries below the
> > numbers
> > > - If you select a row that is hidden by folding, it will expand to show
> > the
> > > row
> > > - You can have the selected item scroll into view when selected
> > > - When an element is added interactively, it can be configured to
> > > auto-select the new element
> > > - You can reset the fold state to collapse the entire tree (optionally
> > > setting the arrayData at the same time)
> > > - MouseUp no longer registers as a click when the MouseDown was on a
> > > different row
> > >
> > > I don't see anything else in the QCC for the Tree Widget that I can

   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."

Re: tree view hide key

Geoff Canyon via use-livecode
There are two PRs currently in progress. 6764 and 6770. Neither address the custom sort (just an idea at this point, have not gotten to the code point).

Thanks,
Brian