tsNet woes

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
Greetings!

I have an app I am working on and it’s working perfectly on my Mac and in the iOS simulator.  However, on an Android device, once I do a couple of get urls, tsNet stops functioning.   I get a variety of results:

Previous request not completed
Sync request already in progress (most common)
tsNet is not initialized

Also, tsNetIsSyncBlocked() always returns true.

I am using LC Indy 8.1.5.   Any thoughts or advise?

-Dan

Re: tsNet woes

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
do yo have  a firewall app or anything that filters your traffic?....
inconsistent behavior like that usually means something is acting on your
traffic

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 7:11 PM, Dan Friedman via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> I have an app I am working on and it’s working perfectly on my Mac and in
> the iOS simulator.  However, on an Android device, once I do a couple of
> get urls, tsNet stops functioning.   I get a variety of results:
>
> Previous request not completed
> Sync request already in progress (most common)
> tsNet is not initialized
>
> Also, tsNetIsSyncBlocked() always returns true.
>
> I am using LC Indy 8.1.5.   Any thoughts or advise?
>
> -Dan

Re: tsNet woes

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
Hi Dan,

If tsNetIsSyncBlocked() is always returning true then a connection must be stalled.

The latest version of tsNet defaults to timing out stalled connections after 30 seconds.  If you want to stay with LC 8.1.5 then just add the following code in your application’s startup:

tsNetSetTimeouts 60,0,300000,60000,30,1000

The last two parameters of this command mean timeout the connection in 30 seconds if less than 1000 bytes per second are transferred over this period.

You can adjust those values to suit your application.

Regards,

Charles

> On 13 Mar 2018, at 2:31 pm, Tom Glod via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> do yo have  a firewall app or anything that filters your traffic?....
> inconsistent behavior like that usually means something is acting on your
> traffic
>
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 7:11 PM, Dan Friedman via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Greetings!
>>
>> I have an app I am working on and it’s working perfectly on my Mac and in
>> the iOS simulator.  However, on an Android device, once I do a couple of
>> get urls, tsNet stops functioning.   I get a variety of results:
>>
>> Previous request not completed
>> Sync request already in progress (most common)
>> tsNet is not initialized
>>
>> Also, tsNetIsSyncBlocked() always returns true.
>>
>> I am using LC Indy 8.1.5.   Any thoughts or advise?
>>
>> -Dan

Re: tsNet woes

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
Charles,

I misspoke…  I’m not on 8.1.5, I’m using 8.1.9.   Is there another version you would recommend?

-Dan

Hi Dan,

If tsNetIsSyncBlocked() is always returning true then a connection must be stalled.

The latest version of tsNet defaults to timing out stalled connections after 30 seconds.  If you want to stay with LC 8.1.5 then just add the following code in your application’s startup:

tsNetSetTimeouts 60,0,300000,60000,30,1000

The last two parameters of this command mean timeout the connection in 30 seconds if less than 1000 bytes per second are transferred over this period.

You can adjust those values to suit your application.

Regards,

Charles

> On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 7:11 PM, Dan Friedman via use-livecode <
>
>> Greetings!
>>
>> I have an app I am working on and it’s working perfectly on my Mac and in
>> the iOS simulator.  However, on an Android device, once I do a couple of
>> get urls, tsNet stops functioning.   I get a variety of results:
>>
>> Previous request not completed
>> Sync request already in progress (most common)
>> tsNet is not initialized
>>
>> Also, tsNetIsSyncBlocked() always returns true.
>>
>> I am using LC Indy 8.1.5.   Any thoughts or advise?
>>
>> -Dan

RE: tsNet woes

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
Hi Dan,
I have been having similar problems with my Android Builds. I removed the TSNet Inclusion from my Android Builds and the problem still exist. I have tried both LC8x and LC9's and the problem still exist.
This problem seems to be sensitive to Android Devises. I have 2 Devices and my Nexus 7 seems to have the problems more frequently. It is running Android 5.1. the other device is a generic cheapy device with Android 5x and the frequency of failures is much less if at all.
I'm chasing GHOST here!

I misspoke…  I’m not on 8.1.5, I’m using 8.1.9.   Is there another version you would recommend?

-Dan

Hi Dan,

If tsNetIsSyncBlocked() is always returning true then a connection must be stalled.

The latest version of tsNet defaults to timing out stalled connections after 30 seconds.  If you want to stay with LC 8.1.5 then just add the following code in your application’s startup:

tsNetSetTimeouts 60,0,300000,60000,30,1000

The last two parameters of this command mean timeout the connection in 30 seconds if less than 1000 bytes per second are transferred over this period.

You can adjust those values to suit your application.

Regards,

Charles

> On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 7:11 PM, Dan Friedman via use-livecode <
>
>> Greetings!
>>
>> I have an app I am working on and it’s working perfectly on my Mac
>> and in the iOS simulator.  However, on an Android device, once I do a couple of
>> get urls, tsNet stops functioning.   I get a variety of results:
>>
>> Previous request not completed
>> Sync request already in progress (most common) tsNet is not
>> initialized
>>
>> Also, tsNetIsSyncBlocked() always returns true.
>>
>> I am using LC Indy 8.1.5.   Any thoughts or advise?
>>
>> -Dan

iOS cached Screen Flashes after Splash Image

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
I'm getting a very strange complaint from one user who has an older iPhone 5 running iOS 11.2. When the app opens it briefly flashes the last screen that was up before the app was closed. This happens in between the splash page and the app's first card. The page flashed page sometimes even has an "answer" dialog from a previous session! I can't replicate it on any of my 3 iOS devices. I also noticed that Pandora and Google Maps does the same thing on my iPad Mini but on my iPad or iPod. The user has two other non-LC apps that are doing the cached flashing. All of the user's other apps except for LC apps and two others don't exhibit the flashing behavior. I'm wondering if the Apple throttle-back for older batteries is exposing: a problem with LC(and other apps), an iOS bug or their device need a factory reset. The last thing I want to do is have the user factory reset their iPhone and have the same thing happen. Could this be an Apple bug for testers that side load many versions of apps? This user has side-loaded many versions to test. Then I had download a store version of the app that never did it before and it's now happening but never did before. I find it very strange that apps that never did this are now acting strangely. I find very little in web searches on this subject. The few hits I've seen were mainly Safari a couple of years ago and a one or two non native Xcode "app building" platforms.

Has anyone else ever seen this?
Thanks

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services

Re: iOS cached Screen Flashes after Splash Image

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
Sounds like an OS thing. When you double tap the home, is that the screen
that flashes? I think the OS caches the last screen for switching and
throws that up before the splash. Apps that resume will not notice. The
faster the device, the less likely you are to see it. At least that is my
non-educated guess :)
On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 11:55 AM Ralph DiMola via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm getting a very strange complaint from one user who has an older iPhone
> 5 running iOS 11.2. When the app opens it briefly flashes the last screen
> that was up before the app was closed. This happens in between the splash
> page and the app's first card. The page flashed page sometimes even has an
> "answer" dialog from a previous session! I can't replicate it on any of my
> 3 iOS devices. I also noticed that Pandora and Google Maps does the same
> thing on my iPad Mini but on my iPad or iPod. The user has two other non-LC
> apps that are doing the cached flashing. All of the user's other apps
> except for LC apps and two others don't exhibit the flashing behavior. I'm
> wondering if the Apple throttle-back for older batteries is exposing: a
> problem with LC(and other apps), an iOS bug or their device need a factory
> reset. The last thing I want to do is have the user factory reset their
> iPhone and have the same thing happen. Could this be an Apple bug for
> testers that side load many versions of apps? This user has side-loaded
> many versions to test. Then I had download a store version of the app that
> never did it before and it's now happening but never did before. I find it
> very strange that apps that never did this are now acting strangely. I find
> very little in web searches on this subject. The few hits I've seen were
> mainly Safari a couple of years ago and a one or two non native Xcode "app
> building" platforms.
>
> Has anyone else ever seen this?
> Thanks
>
> Ralph DiMola
> IT Director
> Evergreen Information Services

RE: iOS cached Screen Flashes after Splash Image

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
Thank Brian,

No, It’s when the app starts again after being closed. You get the splash page, the cached page for .1 to 1 second and then the first card of the app is displayed. It’s particularly noticeable because our fist card is the same as the splash screen so you get splash/cached/splash. I’m getting a lot of noise because the vast majority of other apps don’t exhibit this behavior.

Ralph DiMola

IT Director

Evergreen Information Services

[hidden email]

Re: iOS cached Screen Flashes after Splash Image

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
We have web pages that work the same way. I catch myself touching buttons in our time clock web app, even though I know the page has expired.

Bob S

> On Mar 13, 2018, at 11:11 , Ralph DiMola via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thank Brian,
>

> No, It’s when the app starts again after being closed. You get the splash page, the cached page for .1 to 1 second and then the first card of the app is displayed. It’s particularly noticeable because our fist card is the same as the splash screen so you get splash/cached/splash. I’m getting a lot of noise because the vast majority of other apps don’t exhibit this behavior.
>

> Ralph DiMola

Re: iOS cached Screen Flashes after Splash Image

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
I don't have a clear answer for this, but just an observation: iPhone
5 was the last of the Apple 32bit hardware devices. That makes me
think this is an OS issue more than an LC issue.

--Andrew Bell

> I'm getting a very strange complaint from one user who has an older
> iPhone 5 running iOS 11.2. When the app opens it briefly flashes the
> last screen that was up before the app was closed. This happens in
> between the splash page and the app's first card. The page flashed
> page sometimes even has an "answer" dialog from a previous session!
> I can't replicate it on any of my 3 iOS devices. I also noticed that
> Pandora and Google Maps does the same thing on my iPad Mini but on
> my iPad or iPod. The user has two other non-LC apps that are doing
> the cached flashing. All of the user's other apps except for LC apps
> and two others don't exhibit the flashing behavior. I'm wondering if
> the Apple throttle-back for older batteries is exposing: a problem
> with LC(and other apps), an iOS bug or their device need a factory
> reset. The last thing I want to do is have the user factory reset
> their iPhone and have the same thing happen. Could this be an Apple
> bug for testers that side load many versions of apps? This user has
> side-loaded many versions to test. Then I had download a store
> version of the app that never did it before and it's now happening
> but never did before. I find it very strange that apps that never
> did this are now acting strangely. I find very little in web
> searches on this subject. The few hits I've seen were mainly Safari
> a couple of years ago and a one or two non native Xcode "app
> building" platforms.
>
> Has anyone else ever seen this?
> Thanks
>
> Ralph DiMola
> IT Director
> Evergreen Information Services

RE: iOS cached Screen Flashes after Splash Image

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
It's interesting that the user never had this problem until last week even
on apps that have not changed. I wonder if the Apple speed throttling has
anything to do with it. The user loaded some app that shows if throttling is
in effect and his speed is now reduced by .1 mhz. I wonder if this became a
problem on older devices since Apple introduced as "App Thinning/Slicing."

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
[hidden email]
Phone: 518-636-3998 Ex:11

I don't have a clear answer for this, but just an observation: iPhone
5 was the last of the Apple 32bit hardware devices. That makes me think this
is an OS issue more than an LC issue.

--Andrew Bell

> I'm getting a very strange complaint from one user who has an older
> iPhone 5 running iOS 11.2. When the app opens it briefly flashes the
> last screen that was up before the app was closed. This happens in
> between the splash page and the app's first card. The page flashed
> page sometimes even has an "answer" dialog from a previous session!
> I can't replicate it on any of my 3 iOS devices. I also noticed that
> Pandora and Google Maps does the same thing on my iPad Mini but on my
> iPad or iPod. The user has two other non-LC apps that are doing the
> cached flashing. All of the user's other apps except for LC apps and
> two others don't exhibit the flashing behavior. I'm wondering if the
> Apple throttle-back for older batteries is exposing: a problem with
> LC(and other apps), an iOS bug or their device need a factory reset.
> The last thing I want to do is have the user factory reset their
> iPhone and have the same thing happen. Could this be an Apple bug for
> testers that side load many versions of apps? This user has
> side-loaded many versions to test. Then I had download a store version
> of the app that never did it before and it's now happening but never
> did before. I find it very strange that apps that never did this are
> now acting strangely. I find very little in web searches on this
> subject. The few hits I've seen were mainly Safari a couple of years
> ago and a one or two non native Xcode "app building" platforms.
>
> Has anyone else ever seen this?
> Thanks
>
> Ralph DiMola
> IT Director
> Evergreen Information Services

Re: iOS cached Screen Flashes after Splash Image

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
I have seen something like you’re describing with other apps, not LiveCode ones. iOS 11 has a new way of doing app switching, and that uses a different snapshot of the apps. Are you letting your app quit on suspend, or is it still open in the background? I can imagine cases where someone switches apps and will get the last app switching image iOS 11 kept. That is bound to be different if the app quit on suspend.

RE: iOS cached Screen Flashes after Splash Image

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
Hey Colin,

Hope your well....

It's still open in the background. It's not exiting on suspend. When the app is still open in the background there is no problems switching between apps. When the user swipes it off after the double press of the home button and then re-opens the app is when this cached page is flashed in between the splash page and the first card. I would think that the thumbnail you see after the double press of the home button would be the image that flashes. In many cases it is but not all, maybe 50-50 between the thumbnail and the some random card from the past. I was looking for an app bug until the user said that one of the flashed images had an answer dialog opened. If you reinstall the app it still happens. If you uninstall/reinstall the app it still happens. If you uninstall the app then re-boot the device and then reinstall it does not happen the first launch. Then if you swipe the app off and then reopen it's sometimes OK the first few launches then after 3 or so launches it's back other times it starts after the first time you swipe it off. The happens on Pandora and Google maps also on my iPad mini but they are fine on my old iPad 2.

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
[hidden email]

I have seen something like you’re describing with other apps, not LiveCode ones. iOS 11 has a new way of doing app switching, and that uses a different snapshot of the apps. Are you letting your app quit on suspend, or is it still open in the background? I can imagine cases where someone switches apps and will get the last app switching image iOS 11 kept. That is bound to be different if the app quit on suspend.

Re: iOS cached Screen Flashes after Splash Image

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
That is exactly what I am seeing Colin. I use Dashlane, which has it's own built in browser. When I navigate away from one site and back again, I get a brief time where the cached page displays, even though the connection has timed out, and then it takes me back to a login page for that site. I think this is a device specific issue. If a user is used to this, I don't think it is a problem, unless of course the last time the site was visited, the user was viewing confidential data. Then it could be extremely critical!

Bob S

> On Mar 14, 2018, at 10:27 , Colin Holgate via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have seen something like you’re describing with other apps, not LiveCode ones. iOS 11 has a new way of doing app switching, and that uses a different snapshot of the apps. Are you letting your app quit on suspend, or is it still open in the background? I can imagine cases where someone switches apps and will get the last app switching image iOS 11 kept. That is bound to be different if the app quit on suspend.

OT: Develop yourself?

Clarence Martin via use-livecode

I’ve just examined the premium pack of LiveCode goodies for me (and you) to enjoy.  Am I the only one unsettled by the feeling that “Develop yourself” on merchandise sounds like it might involve steroids, exercise, or a vacuum pump?

Best Wishes,
David Glasgow

 <http://uk.linkedin.com/in/davidvglasgow>

Re: OT: Develop yourself?

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
I'm unsettled that it might involve all three.

Bob S

> On Mar 14, 2018, at 11:59 , David V Glasgow via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I’ve just examined the premium pack of LiveCode goodies for me (and you) to enjoy.  Am I the only one unsettled by the feeling that “Develop yourself” on merchandise sounds like it might involve steroids, exercise, or a vacuum pump?
>

> Best Wishes,
> David Glasgow

Re: OT: Develop yourself?

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
LOL.....at least its not brain surgery

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 3:44 PM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm unsettled that it might involve all three.
>
> Bob S
>

> > On Mar 14, 2018, at 11:59 , David V Glasgow via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I’ve just examined the premium pack of LiveCode goodies for me (and you)
> to enjoy.  Am I the only one unsettled by the feeling that “Develop
> yourself” on merchandise sounds like it might involve steroids, exercise,
> or a vacuum pump?
> >

> > Best Wishes,
> > David Glasgow

RE: OT: Develop yourself?

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
I thought it was a way not to send the film to the lab.

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
[hidden email]

I'm unsettled that it might involve all three.

Bob S

> On Mar 14, 2018, at 11:59 , David V Glasgow via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I’ve just examined the premium pack of LiveCode goodies for me (and you) to enjoy.  Am I the only one unsettled by the feeling that “Develop yourself” on merchandise sounds like it might involve steroids, exercise, or a vacuum pump?
>

> Best Wishes,
> David Glasgow

Re: tsNet woes

Clarence Martin via use-livecode
Hi Dan,

LC 8.1.9 has the latest version of tsNet at present.

If this is something you are still experiencing, are you able to share the code with me so I can see if I can replicate it?

Regards,

Charles