tsNetSmtpSync (with attachment

dunbarx via use-livecode
Hallo all,

try to send an email with attachment (PDF) from LiveCode with tsNet
(tsNetSmtpSync)

I tried the sample stack "Mail v1.2" from
https://downloads.techstrategies.com.au/tsnet/LCMail.livecode

I get an error when I try to send with an attachment (PDF document):

Error tsneterr: (28) schannel: timed out sending data (bytes sent: 0)
  returned from server

Without the attachment the email is send.

Windows 7, LC 8.1.9

Any ideas?

Best
Günter

Re: tsNetSmtpSync (with attachment

dunbarx via use-livecode
Hi,

That does seem odd...  Is there any chance you might have some anti-virus software running that might be getting in the way?

Regards,

Charles

> On 14 Mar 2018, at 1:18 am, G. Wolfgang Gaich via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hallo all,
>
> try to send an email with attachment (PDF) from LiveCode with tsNet (tsNetSmtpSync)
>
> I tried the sample stack "Mail v1.2" from
> https://downloads.techstrategies.com.au/tsnet/LCMail.livecode
>
> I get an error when I try to send with an attachment (PDF document):
>
> Error tsneterr: (28) schannel: timed out sending data (bytes sent: 0)
> returned from server
>

> Without the attachment the email is send.
>
> Windows 7, LC 8.1.9
>

> Any ideas?
>
> Best
> Günter

Re: tsNetSmtpSync (with attachment

dunbarx via use-livecode
Sounds like the receiver is blocking attachments. Many mail gateways do this, either because the extension is not allowed, or the attachment is too big.

Bob S

> On Mar 18, 2018, at 20:07 , Charles Warwick via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> [This message was identified as a phishing scam. Learn about phishing at http://aka.ms/LearnAboutPhishing]
>
> Hi,
>
> That does seem odd...  Is there any chance you might have some anti-virus software running that might be getting in the way?
>
> Regards,
>
> Charles
>
>> On 14 Mar 2018, at 1:18 am, G. Wolfgang Gaich via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hallo all,
>>
>> try to send an email with attachment (PDF) from LiveCode with tsNet (tsNetSmtpSync)
>>
>> I tried the sample stack "Mail v1.2" from
>> https://downloads.techstrategies.com.au/tsnet/LCMail.livecode
>>
>> I get an error when I try to send with an attachment (PDF document):
>>
>> Error tsneterr: (28) schannel: timed out sending data (bytes sent: 0)
>> returned from server
>>

>> Without the attachment the email is send.
>>
>> Windows 7, LC 8.1.9
>>

>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Best
>> Günter

Re: tsNetSmtpSync (with attachment

dunbarx via use-livecode
Hello Charles,

thank you for your reply.

I have the same result if I disable the anti-virus software.

I testet it on another machine (windows 10). I get that error:

tsneterr: (56) Failure when receiving data from the peer

My Mailserver:
smtp.1und1.de
Port is 587
Authentification Method is password, normal
Encryption is STARTTLS

With Thunderbird I can send emails with attachments

Best
Günter

Am 19.03.2018 um 04:07 schrieb Charles Warwick via use-livecode:

> Hi,
>
> That does seem odd...  Is there any chance you might have some anti-virus software running that might be getting in the way?
>
> Regards,
>
> Charles
>
>> On 14 Mar 2018, at 1:18 am, G. Wolfgang Gaich via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hallo all,
>>
>> try to send an email with attachment (PDF) from LiveCode with tsNet (tsNetSmtpSync)
>>
>> I tried the sample stack "Mail v1.2" from
>> https://downloads.techstrategies.com.au/tsnet/LCMail.livecode
>>
>> I get an error when I try to send with an attachment (PDF document):
>>
>> Error tsneterr: (28) schannel: timed out sending data (bytes sent: 0)
>> returned from server
>>

>> Without the attachment the email is send.
>>
>> Windows 7, LC 8.1.9
>>

>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Best
>> Günter

Re: tsNetSmtpSync (with attachment

dunbarx via use-livecode
Hello Bob,
thank you for your reply.
With Thunderbird I send emails with attachments everyday to that server.

Best
Günter

Am 19.03.2018 um 16:45 schrieb Bob Sneidar via use-livecode:

> Sounds like the receiver is blocking attachments. Many mail gateways do this, either because the extension is not allowed, or the attachment is too big.
>
> Bob S
>

>> On Mar 18, 2018, at 20:07 , Charles Warwick via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> [This message was identified as a phishing scam. Learn about phishing at http://aka.ms/LearnAboutPhishing]
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> That does seem odd...  Is there any chance you might have some anti-virus software running that might be getting in the way?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Charles
>>
>>> On 14 Mar 2018, at 1:18 am, G. Wolfgang Gaich via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hallo all,
>>>
>>> try to send an email with attachment (PDF) from LiveCode with tsNet (tsNetSmtpSync)
>>>
>>> I tried the sample stack "Mail v1.2" from
>>> https://downloads.techstrategies.com.au/tsnet/LCMail.livecode
>>>
>>> I get an error when I try to send with an attachment (PDF document):
>>>
>>> Error tsneterr: (28) schannel: timed out sending data (bytes sent: 0)
>>> returned from server
>>>

>>> Without the attachment the email is send.
>>>
>>> Windows 7, LC 8.1.9
>>>

>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Best
>>> Günter

Re: tsNetSmtpSync (with attachment

dunbarx via use-livecode
Can you please download the following stack:

https://downloads.techstrategies.com.au/tsnet/debug_liburl.livecode

Open it while you have your LCMail stack open, click the “start debug” button in the above stack, try send an e-mail with an attachment and then click “stop debug” to stop the timer in the debug field.

That should generate some debug information about your SMTP connection.  If you can post the results of that (minus any private details) it might help us to work out what is going on.

Regards,

Charles

> On 21 Mar 2018, at 5:24 am, G.W.Gaich via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Charles,
>
> thank you for your reply.
>
> I have the same result if I disable the anti-virus software.
>
> I testet it on another machine (windows 10). I get that error:
>

> tsneterr: (56) Failure when receiving data from the peer
>
> My Mailserver:
> smtp.1und1.de
> Port is 587
> Authentification Method is password, normal
> Encryption is STARTTLS
>

> With Thunderbird I can send emails with attachments
>
> Best
> Günter
>
>> Am 19.03.2018 um 04:07 schrieb Charles Warwick via use-livecode:
>> Hi,
>>
>> That does seem odd...  Is there any chance you might have some anti-virus software running that might be getting in the way?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Charles
>>
>>> On 14 Mar 2018, at 1:18 am, G. Wolfgang Gaich via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hallo all,
>>>
>>> try to send an email with attachment (PDF) from LiveCode with tsNet (tsNetSmtpSync)
>>>
>>> I tried the sample stack "Mail v1.2" from
>>> https://downloads.techstrategies.com.au/tsnet/LCMail.livecode
>>>
>>> I get an error when I try to send with an attachment (PDF document):
>>>
>>> Error tsneterr: (28) schannel: timed out sending data (bytes sent: 0)
>>> returned from server
>>>

>>> Without the attachment the email is send.
>>>
>>> Windows 7, LC 8.1.9
>>>

>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Best
>>> Günter

Re: tsNetSmtpSync (with attachment

dunbarx via use-livecode
Hi Charles,
here the output of debug_liburl.livecode:

Rebuilt URL to: smtp://smtp.1und1.de:587/
Connection 1 seems to be dead!
Closing connection 1
schannel: shutting down SSL/TLS connection with smtp.1und1.de port 587
schannel: clear security context handle
   Trying 212.227.15.183...
TCP_NODELAY set
Connected to smtp.1und1.de (212.227.15.183) port 587 (#2)
1521647498
220 kundenserver.de (mreue105) Nemesis ESMTP Service ready
EHLO gyLittleAcer
250-kundenserver.de Hello gyLittleAcer [130.180.10.154]
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
250-SIZE 69920427
250 STARTTLS
STARTTLS
220 OK
schannel: SSL/TLS connection with smtp.1und1.de port 587 (step 1/3)
schannel: re-using existing credential handle
schannel: incremented credential handle refcount = 2
schannel: sending initial handshake data: sending 210 bytes...
schannel: sent initial handshake data: sent 210 bytes
schannel: SSL/TLS connection with smtp.1und1.de port 587 (step 2/3)
schannel: failed to receive handshake, need more data
schannel: SSL/TLS connection with smtp.1und1.de port 587 (step 2/3)
schannel: encrypted data got 1460
schannel: encrypted data buffer: offset 1460 length 4096
schannel: encrypted data length: 1368
schannel: encrypted data buffer: offset 1368 length 4096
schannel: received incomplete message, need more data
schannel: SSL/TLS connection with smtp.1und1.de port 587 (step 2/3)
schannel: encrypted data got 1460
schannel: encrypted data buffer: offset 2828 length 4096
schannel: received incomplete message, need more data
schannel: SSL/TLS connection with smtp.1und1.de port 587 (step 2/3)
schannel: encrypted data got 1268
schannel: encrypted data buffer: offset 4096 length 4096
schannel: received incomplete message, need more data
schannel: SSL/TLS connection with smtp.1und1.de port 587 (step 2/3)
schannel: encrypted data got 747
schannel: encrypted data buffer: offset 4843 length 5120
schannel: sending next handshake data: sending 126 bytes...
schannel: SSL/TLS connection with smtp.1und1.de port 587 (step 2/3)
schannel: encrypted data got 51
schannel: encrypted data buffer: offset 51 length 5120
schannel: SSL/TLS handshake complete
schannel: SSL/TLS connection with smtp.1und1.de port 587 (step 3/3)
EHLO gyLittleAcer
schannel: client wants to read 16384 bytes
schannel: encdata_buffer resized 17408
schannel: encrypted data buffer: offset 0 length 17408
schannel: encrypted data got 127
schannel: encrypted data buffer: offset 127 length 17408
schannel: decrypted data length: 98
schannel: decrypted data added: 98
schannel: decrypted data cached: offset 98 length 16384
schannel: encrypted data buffer: offset 0 length 17408
schannel: decrypted data buffer: offset 98 length 16384
schannel: schannel_recv cleanup
schannel: decrypted data returned 98
schannel: decrypted data buffer: offset 0 length 16384
250-kundenserver.de Hello gyLittleAcer [130.180.10.154]
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
250 SIZE 69920427
AUTH LOGIN
schannel: client wants to read 16384 bytes
schannel: encrypted data buffer: offset 0 length 17408
schannel: encrypted data got 47
schannel: encrypted data buffer: offset 47 length 17408
schannel: decrypted data length: 18
schannel: decrypted data added: 18
schannel: decrypted data cached: offset 18 length 16384
schannel: encrypted data buffer: offset 0 length 17408
schannel: decrypted data buffer: offset 18 length 16384
schannel: schannel_recv cleanup
schannel: decrypted data returned 18
schannel: decrypted data buffer: offset 0 length 16384
334 VXNlcm5hbWU6
c2VydmljZUBnYWljaC5kZQ==
schannel: client wants to read 16384 bytes
schannel: encrypted data buffer: offset 0 length 17408
schannel: encrypted data got 47
schannel: encrypted data buffer: offset 47 length 17408
schannel: decrypted data length: 18
schannel: decrypted data added: 18
schannel: decrypted data cached: offset 18 length 16384
schannel: encrypted data buffer: offset 0 length 17408
schannel: decrypted data buffer: offset 18 length 16384
schannel: schannel_recv cleanup
schannel: decrypted data returned 18
schannel: decrypted data buffer: offset 0 length 16384
334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6
RUltMkIuLiwtbzA=
schannel: client wants to read 16384 bytes
schannel: encrypted data buffer: offset 0 length 17408
schannel: encrypted data got 59
schannel: encrypted data buffer: offset 59 length 17408
schannel: decrypted data length: 30
schannel: decrypted data added: 30
schannel: decrypted data cached: offset 30 length 16384
schannel: encrypted data buffer: offset 0 length 17408
schannel: decrypted data buffer: offset 30 length 16384
schannel: schannel_recv cleanup
schannel: decrypted data returned 30
schannel: decrypted data buffer: offset 0 length 16384
235 Authentication succeeded
MAIL FROM:<[hidden email]> SIZE=49321
schannel: client wants to read 16384 bytes
schannel: encrypted data buffer: offset 0 length 17408
schannel: encrypted data got 72
schannel: encrypted data buffer: offset 72 length 17408
schannel: decrypted data length: 43
schannel: decrypted data added: 43
schannel: decrypted data cached: offset 43 length 16384
schannel: encrypted data buffer: offset 0 length 17408
schannel: decrypted data buffer: offset 43 length 16384
schannel: schannel_recv cleanup
schannel: decrypted data returned 43
schannel: decrypted data buffer: offset 0 length 16384
250 Requested mail action okay, completed
RCPT TO:<[hidden email]>
schannel: client wants to read 16384 bytes
schannel: encrypted data buffer: offset 0 length 17408
schannel: encrypted data got 37
schannel: encrypted data buffer: offset 37 length 17408
schannel: decrypted data length: 8
schannel: decrypted data added: 8
schannel: decrypted data cached: offset 8 length 16384
schannel: encrypted data buffer: offset 0 length 17408
schannel: decrypted data buffer: offset 8 length 16384
schannel: schannel_recv cleanup
schannel: decrypted data returned 8
schannel: decrypted data buffer: offset 0 length 16384
250 OK
DATA
schannel: client wants to read 16384 bytes
schannel: encrypted data buffer: offset 0 length 17408
schannel: encrypted data got 75
schannel: encrypted data buffer: offset 75 length 17408
schannel: decrypted data length: 46
schannel: decrypted data added: 46
schannel: decrypted data cached: offset 46 length 16384
schannel: encrypted data buffer: offset 0 length 17408
schannel: decrypted data buffer: offset 46 length 16384
schannel: schannel_recv cleanup
schannel: decrypted data returned 46
schannel: decrypted data buffer: offset 0 length 16384
354 Start mail input; end with <CRLF>.<CRLF>
We are completely uploaded and fine
schannel: client wants to read 16384 bytes
schannel: encrypted data buffer: offset 0 length 17408
schannel: encrypted data got 63
schannel: encrypted data buffer: offset 63 length 17408
schannel: decrypted data length: 34
schannel: decrypted data added: 34
schannel: decrypted data cached: offset 34 length 16384
schannel: encrypted data buffer: offset 0 length 17408
schannel: decrypted data buffer: offset 34 length 16384
schannel: schannel_recv cleanup
schannel: decrypted data returned 34
schannel: decrypted data buffer: offset 0 length 16384
501 Syntax error - line too long
Connection #2 to host smtp.1und1.de left intact

Am 21.03.2018 um 09:34 schrieb Charles Warwick via use-livecode:

> Can you please download the following stack:
>
> https://downloads.techstrategies.com.au/tsnet/debug_liburl.livecode
>
> Open it while you have your LCMail stack open, click the “start debug” button in the above stack, try send an e-mail with an attachment and then click “stop debug” to stop the timer in the debug field.
>
> That should generate some debug information about your SMTP connection.  If you can post the results of that (minus any private details) it might help us to work out what is going on.
>
> Regards,
>
> Charles
>
>> On 21 Mar 2018, at 5:24 am, G.W.Gaich via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Charles,
>>
>> thank you for your reply.
>>
>> I have the same result if I disable the anti-virus software.
>>
>> I testet it on another machine (windows 10). I get that error:
>>

>> tsneterr: (56) Failure when receiving data from the peer
>>
>> My Mailserver:
>> smtp.1und1.de
>> Port is 587
>> Authentification Method is password, normal
>> Encryption is STARTTLS
>>

>> With Thunderbird I can send emails with attachments
>>
>> Best
>> Günter
>>
>>> Am 19.03.2018 um 04:07 schrieb Charles Warwick via use-livecode:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> That does seem odd...  Is there any chance you might have some anti-virus software running that might be getting in the way?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Charles

Re: tsNetSmtpSync (with attachment

dunbarx via use-livecode
Hi,

> On 22 Mar 2018, at 1:57 am, G.W.Gaich via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:

> schannel: decrypted data buffer: offset 0 length 16384
> 501 Syntax error - line too long

This gives us a clue.  It looks like your mail server is not detecting the line endings in the body of the e-mail.

Can you try add the following line just before the call to tsNetSmtpSync (line 38) in the mouseUp handler of the “Send Email” button:

replace LF with CRLF in tPostData

And see if that makes any difference?

Regards,

Charles

>> Am 21.03.2018 um 09:34 schrieb Charles Warwick via use-livecode:
>> Can you please download the following stack:
>>
>> https://downloads.techstrategies.com.au/tsnet/debug_liburl.livecode
>>
>> Open it while you have your LCMail stack open, click the “start debug” button in the above stack, try send an e-mail with an attachment and then click “stop debug” to stop the timer in the debug field.
>>
>> That should generate some debug information about your SMTP connection.  If you can post the results of that (minus any private details) it might help us to work out what is going on.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Charles
>>
>>> On 21 Mar 2018, at 5:24 am, G.W.Gaich via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello Charles,
>>>
>>> thank you for your reply.
>>>
>>> I have the same result if I disable the anti-virus software.
>>>
>>> I testet it on another machine (windows 10). I get that error:
>>>

>>> tsneterr: (56) Failure when receiving data from the peer
>>>
>>> My Mailserver:
>>> smtp.1und1.de
>>> Port is 587
>>> Authentification Method is password, normal
>>> Encryption is STARTTLS
>>>

>>> With Thunderbird I can send emails with attachments
>>>
>>> Best
>>> Günter

Re: tsNetSmtpSync (with attachment

dunbarx via use-livecode
Hello Charles,

thank you very much. Now it works.

Am 22.03.2018 um 05:25 schrieb Charles Warwick via use-livecode:

> Hi,
>
>> On 22 Mar 2018, at 1:57 am, G.W.Gaich via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> schannel: decrypted data buffer: offset 0 length 16384
>> 501 Syntax error - line too long
>>
> This gives us a clue.  It looks like your mail server is not detecting the line endings in the body of the e-mail.
>
> Can you try add the following line just before the call to tsNetSmtpSync (line 38) in the mouseUp handler of the “Send Email” button:
>
> replace LF with CRLF in tPostData
>
> And see if that makes any difference?
>
> Regards,
>
> Charles
>

>>> Am 21.03.2018 um 09:34 schrieb Charles Warwick via use-livecode:
>>> Can you please download the following stack:
>>>
>>> https://downloads.techstrategies.com.au/tsnet/debug_liburl.livecode
>>>
>>> Open it while you have your LCMail stack open, click the “start debug” button in the above stack, try send an e-mail with an attachment and then click “stop debug” to stop the timer in the debug field.
>>>
>>> That should generate some debug information about your SMTP connection.  If you can post the results of that (minus any private details) it might help us to work out what is going on.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Charles

Inferring absence of physical keyboard in Win 10 'convertible' device

dunbarx via use-livecode
I apologise in advance for the ugliness of my attempt at a solution to the above.

Just a brief gratuitous update on strangeness associated with Inferring absence of physical keyboard in Win 10.  The Win 10 tablet itself knows the keyboard has been detached, because the cursor disappears (although LC continues to detect the location of the invisible cursor, because tooltips are sometimes triggered).  However it seems there is no flag accessible to developers.  Various online recipes appear in different languages, but none appear to be accepted as foolproof.

The simple kludge I came up with works fairly well.  Counting mousemoves generated on a setup screen allows me to reliably determine whether the input is mouse or touch (the latter presuming keyboard absent).  However, the cut off isn’t as clear as I thought it might be.  This is because mousemoves appear to be generated when the pointer doesn’t actually move

Opening the card containing the mousemove counter always generates 3 mousemove messages without the screen being touched in any way.  Any tap generates 4 mousemoves.  So open card + popup + select option + radio button + go button = 3+4+4+4+4= 18 minimum.  I could reduce that a bit by zeroing the mousemove count after the popup selection.

Luckily it seems impossible to do the same using a mouse-pointer with fewer than 70 mousemoves, so if the platform is Win and mousemoves <60 I present a “It looks like you are using this device as a tablet, is that right?” dialog.  A ‘Yes’ enables the use of on screen keyboard and numeric keypad on the main card.  Also, someone using the screen as a tablet but with a mouse attached would slip through the net. However, a false positive here is not a great inconvenience.

False negatives remain a possibility, though.  Obviously a rather touchy, clumsy, strokey tablet user could generate another 42 mousemove events, and thus transition to the main card with no means of entering data.

The built in on-screen keyboard is also pretty horrible.  Often obscuring the important parts of the screen, and apparently arbitrarily invoked or not invoked.  In short, Microsoft’s ‘continuum’ seems to be more ambitious and complicated than Apple's ‘continuity’, and rather difficult  to manage as a user and developer.

Best Wishes,
David Glasgow

 <http://www.i-psych.co.uk/> <https://twitter.com/iPsychApps>

 <https://twitter.com/iPsychApps> <http://uk.linkedin.com/in/davidvglasgow>