updating text of a mobile app (newbie)

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
A goal this year is to get an app (for foreign language learning) on the
Android and iOS stores. To this end, I have begun to re-study LC8's app
building course; LC itself I've been using for decades.

Let's say my original app gets approved. In that app is a datagrid object
list consisting of 10 vocabulary categories, the contents of  which are
read in from a text file in specialFolderPath("documents"). A few months
later, however, I discover more vocabulary categories are needed.

What do I do? Can I somehow "download" a new text file into
specialFolderPath("documents")? Do I have to completely update my app? Or
something else?

In the past what I've done for my desktop Windows standalones is to
download data from my webserver over the internet. But, I imagine mobile
apps must work differently.

Hand holding very much welcome!

--
Nicolas Cueto

Re: updating text of a mobile app (newbie)

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
That path should be safe to download new content. As long as you are just
downloading data, you are within mobile store rules.
On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 9:01 PM Nicolas Cueto via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> A goal this year is to get an app (for foreign language learning) on the
> Android and iOS stores. To this end, I have begun to re-study LC8's app
> building course; LC itself I've been using for decades.
>
> Let's say my original app gets approved. In that app is a datagrid object
> list consisting of 10 vocabulary categories, the contents of  which are
> read in from a text file in specialFolderPath("documents"). A few months
> later, however, I discover more vocabulary categories are needed.
>
> What do I do? Can I somehow "download" a new text file into
> specialFolderPath("documents")? Do I have to completely update my app? Or
> something else?
>
> In the past what I've done for my desktop Windows standalones is to
> download data from my webserver over the internet. But, I imagine mobile
> apps must work differently.
>
> Hand holding very much welcome!
>
> --
> Nicolas Cueto

Re: updating text of a mobile app (newbie)

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
> A goal this year is to get an app (for foreign language learning) on the
> Android and iOS stores. To this end, I have begun to re-study LC8's app
> building course; LC itself I've been using for decades.
>
> Let's say my original app gets approved. In that app is a datagrid object
> list consisting of 10 vocabulary categories, the contents of  which are
> read in from a text file in specialFolderPath("documents"). A few months
> later, however, I discover more vocabulary categories are needed.
>
> What do I do? Can I somehow "download" a new text file into
> specialFolderPath("documents")? Do I have to completely update my app? Or
> something else?
>
> In the past what I've done for my desktop Windows standalones is to
> download data from my webserver over the internet. But, I imagine mobile
> apps must work differently.
>
> Hand holding very much welcome!
>
> --
> Nicolas Cueto

This is VERY doable. I have a mobile app that "phones home" on every
launch to see if there is new data. The app goes and fetches a text
file from my server that has an integer value of the last time the
data was updated (the seconds) and if that value is greater than the
value saved in a local preferences file on the device the app knows it
needs to run a soft update. A quick revQueryDatabase returns an array
of data that then gets used as the dgData.

I'm by no means an expert, but have a couple mobile apps created in
LiveCode doing something like this and would be happy to talk you
through the hoops and share some best practices I've discovered along
the way. Feel free to message me off list.

--Andrew Bell

Re: updating text of a mobile app (newbie)

Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
Noob again.

This works on the dektop but not on an Android device:

on mouseUp
   put url "http://mysite.com/dir/file.txt" into tTextToDecode
   put textDecode(tTextToDecode,"UTF-8") into field "the text"
end mouseUp

I looked in LC dictionary "put" but only thing was "Note: The Android and
iOS engines do not support 'libUrl' but do allow you to use put in the
background. "