use of Revmail

edwarddenes
I am in the process of writing a parent conference program for Greens
Farms Academy, K-12; CT; USA.  (I am registrar at that school.)  I am
using Revmail to send the conference info to parents using FirstClass.
 I have no problem with it on my Mac using OS X; however, I cannot
generate an e-mail in FirstClass using a PC. (It "calls" the
FirstClass "screen", but does not generate an e-mail.) Any thoughts?
 Thanking You ahead of time, Ed Denes, a new revInterop member ...

Re: use of Revmail

Ken Ray
On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 16:39:50 -0000, edwarddenes wrote:

First of all - welcome to RevInterop!

> I am in the process of writing a parent conference program for Greens
> Farms Academy, K-12; CT; USA. (I am registrar at that school.) I am
> using Revmail to send the conference info to parents using FirstClass.
> I have no problem with it on my Mac using OS X; however, I cannot
> generate an e-mail in FirstClass using a PC. (It "calls" the
> FirstClass "screen", but does not generate an e-mail.) Any thoughts?

Yes - RevMail is using the "mailto:" protocol to tell the OS to launch
the default email client and pass it the relevant info. The structure
of this is *usually*:

mailto:<recipients>?subject=<subject>&cc=<ccList>&bcc=<bccList>&body=<emailBody>

Many email clients are picky about how the "mailto:" parameters are
passed. Here's an example of what I mean:

  - Mozilla Thunderbird needs commas between recipient/CC/BCC email
addresses, not semicolons like everyone else
  - Outlook Express on the PC requires spaces or semicolons for a CC or
BCC if there aren't any (other email apps let you leave it empty, as in
"&cc=&bcc=")
  - QuickMail on the Mac doesn't work properly with "mailto:" and has
to be AppleScripted

Oh, and the <subject> can't have double quotes or ampersands in it.

If there are any errors in the "mailto:", the email client will do the
best it can with the info it gets... sometimes this is just bringing up
a new email message. So you should toy around with the "mailto:" from
the Run box on the PC and see what combination is right for FirstClass
(or perhaps there may be some documentation on this?).

HTH,

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: [hidden email]