v9 experience grinds to a halt. non-functioning breakpoints.

v9 experience grinds to a halt. non-functioning breakpoints.

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Hi peeps, can anyone confirm with me that breakpoints don't work at all in
the new LC 9?

breakpoint command or line toggle.... both are ignored.

Is there a new toggle somewhere?

Re: v9 experience grinds to a halt. non-functioning breakpoints.

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Did a quick test on Mac/Win10 and both worked as expected on a new test
stack.

On 04/03/2018 06:50 PM, Brian Milby via use-livecode wrote:
> Did a quick test on Mac/Win10 and both worked as expected on a new test
> stack.

Ditto here on linux. Whew... had me worried for a sec.

Re: v9 experience grinds to a halt. non-functioning breakpoints.

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
Maybe script debug mode is turned off?
--
Jacqueline Landman Gay | [hidden email]
On April 3, 2018 8:52:32 PM Brian Milby via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Did a quick test on Mac/Win10 and both worked as expected on a new test
> stack.
> On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 8:22 PM Tom Glod via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi peeps, can anyone confirm with me that breakpoints don't work at all in
> > the new LC 9?
> >
> > breakpoint command or line toggle.... both are ignored.
> >
> > Is there a new toggle somewhere?

Re: v9 experience grinds to a halt. non-functioning breakpoints.

Mike Kerner via use-livecode

> On 4 Apr 2018, at 1:10 pm, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Maybe script debug mode is turned off?

There are two other less obvious reasons that the breakpoints might be being ignored:

- the breakpoint is in a moveStack or resizeStack handler. Note that in 9.0.1 this will extend to resizeControl also to resolve bug 21017.
- the breakpoint is encountered when a modal dialog is open

Cheers

Monte

Re: v9 experience grinds to a halt. non-functioning breakpoints.

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
cool.....sorry for the loud alarm.....but that was a show stopper for me.
great job monte and mark....and whole team .....the engine is rock solid!

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 11:15 PM, Monte Goulding via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On 4 Apr 2018, at 1:10 pm, J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Maybe script debug mode is turned off?
>
> There are two other less obvious reasons that the breakpoints might be
> being ignored:
>
> - the breakpoint is in a moveStack or resizeStack handler. Note that in
> 9.0.1 this will extend to resizeControl also to resolve bug 21017.
> - the breakpoint is encountered when a modal dialog is open
>
> Cheers
>
> Monte

Re: v9 experience grinds to a halt. non-functioning breakpoints.

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
I just had to run dev in win yesterday to debug something and the breakpoints worked fine. May be time to recreate prefs.

Bob S

> On Apr 3, 2018, at 18:21 , Tom Glod via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi peeps, can anyone confirm with me that breakpoints don't work at all in
> the new LC 9?
>
> breakpoint command or line toggle.... both are ignored.
>
> Is there a new toggle somewhere?

Re: v9 experience grinds to a halt. non-functioning breakpoints.

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
yeah bob, resetting prefs solved it for me ....apparently i had debug mod
off.... which i have never turned off in my life.....maybe my 3 year old
clicked it by accident....lol...she button mashes my keyb and mouse all the
time. lol

On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 10:43 AM, Bob Sneidar via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just had to run dev in win yesterday to debug something and the
> breakpoints worked fine. May be time to recreate prefs.
>
> Bob S
>

> > On Apr 3, 2018, at 18:21 , Tom Glod via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi peeps, can anyone confirm with me that breakpoints don't work at all
> in
> > the new LC 9?
> >
> > breakpoint command or line toggle.... both are ignored.
> >
> > Is there a new toggle somewhere?

Re: v9 experience grinds to a halt. non-functioning breakpoints.

Mike Kerner via use-livecode
That happened to me at times, and resetting prefs seemed to fix it. I also had breakpoints go out of sync, where the line the red dot was on did not break. Opening the Breakpoints tab in the SE and deleting everything there fixed that.

Bob S

On 04/03/2018 08:15 PM, Monte Goulding via use-livecode wrote:

> There are two other less obvious reasons that the breakpoints might be being ignored:
>
> - the breakpoint is in a moveStack or resizeStack handler. Note that in 9.0.1 this will extend to resizeControl also to resolve bug 21017.
> - the breakpoint is encountered when a modal dialog is open

Meanwhile, I'm happy to report that PowerDebug has no problems with
debugging breakpoints in moveStack or resizeStack handlers. And
successfully deals with breakpoints in modal dialogs as well.

http://powerdebug.ahsoftware.net
http://ahsoftware.net/PowerTools/BuyPowerDebug.lc