Quantcast

where does the standalonebuilder saves the substacks in an Mac OS App?

where does the standalonebuilder saves the substacks in an Mac OS App?

prothero--- via use-livecode
Hi,

is it correct when the standalone settings of an stack are set to move substacks into individual stack files that under Mac OS X the substacks in an compiled app (e.g. test.app) are stored

in 'test.app/Contents/Resources/_MacOS/‘ instead of being stored in 'test.app/Contents/MacOS/'

And if this is correct, how do i open them? At the moment my button script (go stack …) , which works for Windows does not open the substacks in MacOS X.
If i move the substacks manually to 'test.app/Contents/MacOS/' then of course my scripts can open them w/o modification.

Never ran into this before, because  i needed individual substacks only under Windows in the past.

Am i missing something?

Regards,
Matthias

Re: where does the standalonebuilder saves the substacks in an Mac OS App?

prothero--- via use-livecode
On 3/14/17 6:58 PM, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode wrote:
> is it correct when the standalone settings of an stack are set to
> move substacks into individual stack files that under Mac OS X the
> substacks in an compiled app (e.g. test.app) are stored
>
> in 'test.app/Contents/Resources/_MacOS/‘ instead of being stored in
> 'test.app/Contents/MacOS/'

Yes, Apple required that change a while ago.

> And if this is correct, how do i open them? At the moment my button
> script (go stack …) , which works for Windows does not open the
> substacks in MacOS X. If i move the substacks manually to
> 'test.app/Contents/MacOS/' then of course my scripts can open them
> w/o modification.

Apple doesn't want anything in the folder except the executable now. The
best way to handle the files is to use specialFolderPath("resources") as
the directory. That will alway point to the correct location on any OS.
On Mac, it specifies the Resources folder (and is a synonym for the
engine folder for legacy stacks.) So your path should be:

  specialFolderPath("resources") & "/stackname.livecode"

It will work on Windows too.

Re: where does the standalonebuilder saves the substacks in an Mac OS App?

prothero--- via use-livecode
Hi Jacqueline,

thanks for that hint. Seems i have missed that part..

Regards,

Matthias

> Am 15.03.2017 um 07:44 schrieb J. Landman Gay via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
> On 3/14/17 6:58 PM, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode wrote:
>> is it correct when the standalone settings of an stack are set to
>> move substacks into individual stack files that under Mac OS X the
>> substacks in an compiled app (e.g. test.app) are stored
>>
>> in 'test.app/Contents/Resources/_MacOS/‘ instead of being stored in
>> 'test.app/Contents/MacOS/'
>
> Yes, Apple required that change a while ago.
>
>> And if this is correct, how do i open them? At the moment my button
>> script (go stack …) , which works for Windows does not open the
>> substacks in MacOS X. If i move the substacks manually to
>> 'test.app/Contents/MacOS/' then of course my scripts can open them
>> w/o modification.
>
> Apple doesn't want anything in the folder except the executable now. The best way to handle the files is to use specialFolderPath("resources") as the directory. That will alway point to the correct location on any OS. On Mac, it specifies the Resources folder (and is a synonym for the engine folder for legacy stacks.) So your path should be:
>
> specialFolderPath("resources") & "/stackname.livecode"
>
> It will work on Windows too.
>
> --
> Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> HyperActive Software           |     http://www.hyperactivesw.com <http://www.hyperactivesw.com/>

Matthias Rebbe
Bramkampsieke 13
32312 Lübbecke
Tel +49 5741 310000
    +49 160 5504462
Fax: +49 5741 310002
eMail: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

BR5 Konverter - BR5 -> MP3 <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/portfolio/produkte/brx/>

AW: where does the standalonebuilder saves the substacks in an Mac OS App?

prothero--- via use-livecode
Hello,
"Apple requires" - Is this only a "best practise" guideline or what will happen if you don't care? I have an old application just migrated to LC 8, where I am running an independent stack file in that old dir("Contents/MacOS"), and it is running fine on MacOS 10.12.3
Is there any Apple link about that or are there any informations, into which issue you can run, if you put files into the old dir? If you integrate Valentina, they also keep one file in that directory.
Thanks for any info
Tiemo

On 3/14/17 6:58 PM, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode wrote:
> is it correct when the standalone settings of an stack are set to move
> substacks into individual stack files that under Mac OS X the
> substacks in an compiled app (e.g. test.app) are stored
>
> in 'test.app/Contents/Resources/_MacOS/‘ instead of being stored in
> 'test.app/Contents/MacOS/'

Yes, Apple required that change a while ago.

Re: where does the standalonebuilder saves the substacks in an Mac OS App?

prothero--- via use-livecode
To my understanding, it's a requirement in accordance with Apple's sandboxing policies, if you want an executable to be able to make changes to files inside the executable bundle. The way it's supposed to work, no application is allowed to write or modify anything in the old location where the actual application binary resides, but in the new location they can.

As an administrative user I am able to copy files to both locations, but sandboxing is not about folder permissions. It's about executable permissions and it's baked into the OS so no one can (ostensibly) change it.

That is my understanding at least. I've not dug in enough to know for certain.

Bob S

> On Mar 27, 2017, at 09:45 , Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
> "Apple requires" - Is this only a "best practise" guideline or what will happen if you don't care? I have an old application just migrated to LC 8, where I am running an independent stack file in that old dir("Contents/MacOS"), and it is running fine on MacOS 10.12.3
> Is there any Apple link about that or are there any informations, into which issue you can run, if you put files into the old dir? If you integrate Valentina, they also keep one file in that directory.
> Thanks for any info
> Tiemo

Re: where does the standalonebuilder saves the substacks in an Mac OS App?

prothero--- via use-livecode
I think that's right, Apple enforces this rule.

The standalone builder will move files to a Resources folder when it
builds the app. For backward compatibility, scripts that reference the
engine folder are redirected to the Resources folder automatically.

> To my understanding, it's a requirement in accordance with Apple's
> sandboxing policies, if you want an executable to be able to make
> changes to files inside the executable bundle. The way it's supposed
> to work, no application is allowed to write or modify anything in the
> old location where the actual application binary resides, but in the
> new location they can.
>
> As an administrative user I am able to copy files to both locations,
> but sandboxing is not about folder permissions. It's about executable
> permissions and it's baked into the OS so no one can (ostensibly)
> change it.
>
> That is my understanding at least. I've not dug in enough to know for
> certain.
>
> Bob S
>

>> On Mar 27, 2017, at 09:45 , Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello, "Apple requires" - Is this only a "best practise" guideline
>> or what will happen if you don't care? I have an old application
>> just migrated to LC 8, where I am running an independent stack file
>> in that old dir("Contents/MacOS"), and it is running fine on MacOS
>> 10.12.3 Is there any Apple link about that or are there any
>> informations, into which issue you can run, if you put files into
>> the old dir? If you integrate Valentina, they also keep one file in
>> that directory. Thanks for any info Tiemo

AW: where does the standalonebuilder saves the substacks in an Mac OS App?

prothero--- via use-livecode
Creating a standalone on MacOS 10.12 with LC 8.1.3, LiveCode puts the file
"revsecurity.dylib" into "my.app/Contents/MacOS/"
As you say, this would be against the rules of Apple. Is this a bug? Or is
it still arbitrary, where to put your files?
Tiemo

I think that's right, Apple enforces this rule.

The standalone builder will move files to a Resources folder when it builds
the app. For backward compatibility, scripts that reference the engine
folder are redirected to the Resources folder automatically.

> To my understanding, it's a requirement in accordance with Apple's
> sandboxing policies, if you want an executable to be able to make
> changes to files inside the executable bundle. The way it's supposed
> to work, no application is allowed to write or modify anything in the
> old location where the actual application binary resides, but in the
> new location they can.
>
> As an administrative user I am able to copy files to both locations,
> but sandboxing is not about folder permissions. It's about executable
> permissions and it's baked into the OS so no one can (ostensibly)
> change it.
>
> That is my understanding at least. I've not dug in enough to know for
> certain.
>
> Bob S
>

>> On Mar 27, 2017, at 09:45 , Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello, "Apple requires" - Is this only a "best practise" guideline or
>> what will happen if you don't care? I have an old application just
>> migrated to LC 8, where I am running an independent stack file in
>> that old dir("Contents/MacOS"), and it is running fine on MacOS
>> 10.12.3 Is there any Apple link about that or are there any
>> informations, into which issue you can run, if you put files into the
>> old dir? If you integrate Valentina, they also keep one file in that
>> directory. Thanks for any info Tiemo

Re: where does the standalonebuilder saves the substacks in an Mac OS App?

prothero--- via use-livecode
Is it a library that will not be edited programmatically at runtime? If not, then that is the place it belongs.

Bob S