where is RevWeb for linux?

Andre Garzia-3
We used to have a alpha version of RevWeb for Linux, where did it went? I am
building a linux rev project for a client and it would be great to be able
to load it into firefox and have him look at it without the need to download
standalones.

Any clue?

--
http://www.andregarzia.com All We Do Is Code.

Re: where is RevWeb for linux?

Kay C Lan
I believe Richmond is putting forward a conspiracy theory that unscrupulous
individuals at RunRev are carrying out backyard appendectomies on little
used Rev components. I assume he believes they are then sold on the black
market. and if I understand correctly, Steve Jobs frequents such places and
at some future time will carry out a reverse appendectomy on iPads so as to
add missing features.

I'm sure Richmond will chime in with the finer details ;-)))

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 8:38 AM, Andre Garzia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We used to have a alpha version of RevWeb for Linux, where did it went? I
> am
> building a linux rev project for a client and it would be great to be able
> to load it into firefox and have him look at it without the need to
> download
> standalones.
>
> Any clue?
>
> --
> http://www.andregarzia.com All We Do Is Code.

Re: where is RevWeb for linux?

Bernard Devlin-2
In December I asked Heather if there was any idea when the plug-in for
Linux would be released.  She told me that there was no schedule for
its release.  I guess at least I can say they are true to their word.

Bernard

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 1:38 AM, Andre Garzia <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We used to have a alpha version of RevWeb for Linux, where did it went? I am
> building a linux rev project for a client and it would be great to be able
> to load it into firefox and have him look at it without the need to download
> standalones.
>
> Any clue?

Re: where is RevWeb for linux?

Richmond Mathewson-2
  On 24/04/2010 11:14, Kay C Lan wrote:
> I believe Richmond is putting forward a conspiracy theory that unscrupulous
> individuals at RunRev are carrying out backyard appendectomies on little
> used Rev components. I assume he believes they are then sold on the black
> market. and if I understand correctly, Steve Jobs frequents such places and
> at some future time will carry out a reverse appendectomy on iPads so as to
> add missing features.
>
> I'm sure Richmond will chime in with the finer details ;-)))

You got me in one . . .  :)

1. I don't believe anybody is unscrupulous at RunRev. However, they,
like all of us,
     have to trim their sails (err . . . sales) to the way the wind is
blowing.

1a. Black Market ??? I wish there were one; I'm on the lookout for a Mac
Classic standalone
        builder for RunRev 4 going cheap . . . or maybe "chip, chip,
chip" . . .  :)

2. I do believe that when a computer program / programming environment
     is updated / upgraded it is, generally, a mistake to deprecate previous
     strengths.

The iPad needs several USB ports (and while we're there, what about a couple
of Firewire ones for good measure?).

Steve Jobs can probably download software without these ports!

Where is RevWeb for Linux? I don't know; no foul conspirators
have dumped it under my bed, unfortunately; otherwise I'm sure we
could "come to some sort of mutually beneficial agreement."

Re: where is RevWeb for linux?

Richmond Mathewson-2
  On 24/04/2010 14:11, Bernard Devlin wrote:
> In December I asked Heather if there was any idea when the plug-in for
> Linux would be released.  She told me that there was no schedule for
> its release.  I guess at least I can say they are true to their word.
>
> Bernard

Ok; but can't we have the Alpha back to keep us entertained in the meantime?

> On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 1:38 AM, Andre Garzia<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> We used to have a alpha version of RevWeb for Linux, where did it went? I am
>> building a linux rev project for a client and it would be great to be able
>> to load it into firefox and have him look at it without the need to download
>> standalones.
>>
>> Any clue?

Re: where is RevWeb for linux?

J. Landman Gay
Kay C Lan wrote:
> I believe Richmond is putting forward a conspiracy theory that unscrupulous
> individuals at RunRev are carrying out backyard appendectomies on little
> used Rev components. I assume he believes they are then sold on the black
> market. and if I understand correctly, Steve Jobs frequents such places and
> at some future time will carry out a reverse appendectomy on iPads so as to
> add missing features.
>
> I'm sure Richmond will chime in with the finer details ;-)))

You forgot the part where the removed tissue is sent off to unscrupulous
cosmetic companies for use in testing skin creams.

Re: where is RevWeb for linux?

Björnke von Gierke
As far as I know, Andre dreamed this up. I'm 99% sure that there never was a linux revweb of any kind.

--

official ChatRev page:
http://bjoernke.com?target=chatrev

Chat with other RunRev developers:
go stack URL "http://bjoernke.com/chatrev/chatrev1.3b3.rev"

Re: where is RevWeb for linux?

Roger Eller
Björnke von Gierke <[hidden email]> wrote:
> As far as I know, Andre dreamed this up. I'm 99% sure that
> there never was a linux revweb of any kind.

There actually was an alpha version.  It was called "nprev_linux.xpi".

~Roger Eller

Re: where is RevWeb for linux?

Douglas-4
I thought all cosmetics were tested on dermatologists?

On 24/04/2010 16:33, J. Landman Gay wrote:
> You forgot the part where the removed tissue is sent off to
> unscrupulous cosmetic companies for use in testing skin creams.

Re: where is RevWeb (or a bunch of other stuff for that matter) for linux?

Peter Alcibiades
We really need a statement from Rev on what exactly the business strategy for Rev for Linux is.  It should address at least the following:-

-- Rev Browser
-- Rev Web
-- Record sound
-- Font management
-- Printing issues
-- Crashing and slowdowns in the editor
-- Unavailability of desirable core functionality plugins, absence of alternatives
-- Unreadability of the IDE on screens over 19 inch; inability to resize

-- And perhaps some statement of intentions and goals about parity with the other versions.

Maybe there is a sensible business strategy here, one that makes sense for Rev itself, and also for people who are trying to use Rev on Linux as their principal programming language.  Please tell us.  I would love to find that this is just a communications problem and that all will be taken care of in 4.5 or 4.6.  But if not, I would also be very grateful for a straight story, this is all you are ever going to get.  Fine, we can make our own decisions if that's the story.

Just let us know where we stand.  Letting this thing drift on in silence is no benefit to Rev or to us.

  On 24/04/2010 21:52, Peter Alcibiades wrote:

> We really need a statement from Rev on what exactly the business strategy for
> Rev for Linux is.  It should address at least the following:-
>
> -- Rev Browser
> -- Rev Web
> -- Record sound
> -- Font management
> -- Printing issues
> -- Crashing and slowdowns in the editor
> -- Unavailability of desirable core functionality plugins, absence of
> alternatives
> -- Unreadability of the IDE on screens over 19 inch; inability to resize
>
> -- And perhaps some statement of intentions and goals about parity with the
> other versions.
>
> Maybe there is a sensible business strategy here, one that makes sense for
> Rev itself, and also for people who are trying to use Rev on Linux as their
> principal programming language.  Please tell us.  I would love to find that
> this is just a communications problem and that all will be taken care of in
> 4.5 or 4.6.
The bug reports seem to indicate that many of these 'shortcomings' were
pointed out
as far back as 2.1; and nothing has been done about them.
--
My hunchback, mentally defective brother lives in the cellar; I hope
that if I ignore

I don't neglect my hunchback brother out of any real sense of malice; in
fact
as I know that I really cannot provide a compassionate, humane home
environment for him it seems kinder, on the whole, to brick him up in
the cellar and let him starve. I suppose that in due course the screams,
the whimpering and the scratching will disappear.

Somebody offered my hunchback brother a home in the country in a lovely
house in the middle of a flower garden - for free; but pride stopped me
from accepting it. I was slightly worried that those people might
somehow shame me by showing what hidden potential they could
release from my brother's deformed body.

My hunchback brother is known locally as "Dr R*nR*v" and over the cellar
door,
beautifully carved in rosewood there is the phrase "Welcome to L*n*x".

I apologise about the '*' symbols, but in our local language we use a
different
writing system and there is no adequate representation of the Vulgarian
vowels the * sign is a substitute for.
--
>   But if not, I would also be very grateful for a straight story,
> this is all you are ever going to get.  Fine, we can make our own decisions
> if that's the story.
>
> Just let us know where we stand.  Letting this thing drift on in silence is
> no benefit to Rev or to us.

Why, Oh Why, does the situation re the Linux version of RunRev seem awfully
similar to the way Apple behaved about Hypercard: they said nothing, they
said nothing, they said nothing . . . and we moved onto Metacard and
Revolution?

Err . . . possibly somebody who knows what they are doing had better start
work on the xTalk successor to RunRev for Linux pretty pronto.

Richmond descriptively wrote:

> The bug reports seem to indicate that many of these 'shortcomings'
> were pointed out
> as far back as 2.1; and nothing has been done about them.
> --
> My hunchback, mentally defective brother lives in the cellar;
> I hope that if I ignore
> him long enough he will die or vanish - unfortunately, occasionally,
> people passing by, seeing his horribly deformed visage through the
> cellar bars telephone me and
> remind me that, however ugly, deformed and second-class he is,
> he is still a human
> being who needs to be treated with compassion and dignity: I
> remain silent, and, I suppose,
> that after some time people will stop bothering me about him.

Great story, by the way!  I think Linux is considered to be the ugly one
that nobody wants to associate with.  I understand that revMobile, iPads,
and other Apple doodads are the buzz right now, but the "coming soon"
revWeb plugin reminds me alot of the "coming soon" *nix versions of Rev
that was reduced to only Linux. I was so pleased when Bill Marriott guided
the Rev team into re-aligning the platforms to bring Linux up to spec for
2.9.  Well, it's being ignored again, and who's going to fill his shoes to
keep Linux development moving forward?

Best regards,
~Roger Eller

add missing features.......
We need to stop treating this as a laughing matter.  The Linux people bought licenses like everyone else, they like everyone else are trying to use Rev as their main tool.  Is there supposed to be something ridiculous about doing that?

Re: where is RevWeb for linux?

Bernard Devlin-2
It's right.  It is no laughing matter.  Six months after the plug-in
went GA for 2/3 of the supported platforms in Rev 4, the linux plug-in
is not only NOT GA, the alpha is not even there.

Bernard

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 10:13 AM, Peter Alcibiades
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> We need to stop treating this as a laughing matter.  The Linux people bought
> licenses like everyone else, they like everyone else are trying to use Rev
> as their main tool.  Is there supposed to be something ridiculous about
> doing that?

Re: where is RevWeb for linux?

Richmond Mathewson-2
  On 25/04/2010 12:44, Bernard Devlin wrote:

> It's right.  It is no laughing matter.  Six months after the plug-in
> went GA for 2/3 of the supported platforms in Rev 4, the linux plug-in
> is not only NOT GA, the alpha is not even there.
>
> Bernard
>
> On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 10:13 AM, Peter Alcibiades
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> We need to stop treating this as a laughing matter.  The Linux people bought
>> licenses like everyone else, they like everyone else are trying to use Rev
>> as their main tool.  Is there supposed to be something ridiculous about
>> doing that?

It IS a laughing matter because . . .

I think it was George Bush senior who said "read my lips";

like reading Steve Jobs' silence re Hypercard.

It is fairly obvious to me that without actually saying it
RunRev for Linux is on the way out . . .

Unfortunately Bill Marriott seems to have been the chap
who kept it alive; with him gone we Linux fans are without
a champion.

I turned up at the Edinburgh conference with my wife's old
G4 laptop, only because the money I had set aside to buy a
laptop to run Linux on had, suddenly, to be spent on something
more urgent. Now had I turned up at Edinburgh with a laptop
running some sort of Linux I would have been heavily
cheesed-off because the USB drives we were all given did not
contain betas of RunRev 4 for Linux; only for Mac and Win.
However, in all the preconference 'guff' there was absolutely
no information to tell me that bringing along a Linux box
would have proved problematic (the "truly cross-platform" IDE).

Perhaps I should have done that and then "sued their pants off"
as they say in the USA; however, I am not American, and, oddly
enough I like the RunRev people.

Re: where is RevWeb for linux?

Kay C Lan
On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 5:13 PM, Peter Alcibiades <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> We need to stop treating this as a laughing matter.
>
> I apologise. I really did think that someone would have quickly replied
with the new link to the Alpha. I didn't appreciate that it really has
disappeared.

Sorry.