which port is beeing used with get URL?

Hello,

LC6 and 8. Again and again I have customers, where my program doesn't gets
an internet connection with standard "put URL foo into res". This happens
only at "institutional customers" with "bigger" networks, obviously with
proxy servers, firewalls, etc. On "private" PCs I never happen this. The
user can setup the proxy credentials in my program, that is ok for some
customers. At other customers my program still doesn't gets access to the
internet and often the admin of the customer doesn't find the reason what is
blocking my program. Usually most firewalls pop up with a request, if they
are blocking a new program, but in these cases the firewalls keep silent, so
it is hard to find the reason.

Am I right, that using "put URL" is a standard http:// protocol via port
8080? Or is there a special port being used by LC?

Are there any ideas from your experience, what and how to check for to find
the blocking factor in a customer network?

Thanks for your experiences

Tiemo

Re: which port is beeing used with get URL?

On 2017-05-19 10:40, Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode wrote:
> Am I right, that using "put URL" is a standard http:// protocol via
> port
> 8080? Or is there a special port being used by LC?

HTTP is port 80 - HTTPS is port 443.

LC does not do anything non-standard here (unless you specify, e.g.
http://livecode.com:93).

> Are there any ideas from your experience, what and how to check for to
> find
> the blocking factor in a customer network?

Right, so - we know there are problems with LiveCode's networking stack
communicating in some network environments. However, the problem is that
we're not sure what configurations are actually causing the problem.

Trevor DeVore has done a lot of work over the years to help improve the
internet settings auto-discovery, to make LiveCode much better in this
regard; however, things still aren't perfect.

If we can find a way to fetch all the info about places which are not
letting libURL work, then we can look into making it work... The problem
is working out how to collect that information.

If anyone has any ideas on this score then that would be most helpful!

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps

Re: which port is beeing used with get URL?

Hi Timo,

a firewall setting also might cause this. Many security tools have a app control included which controls the network access of applications. It could be that the LC app is not allowed to do any networking.  Can you check with the  customer which Antivirus/Firewall software is used?

Matthias

Matthias Rebbe
+49 5741 310000
‌matthiasrebbe.eu <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/>‌

> Am 19.05.2017 um 10:40 schrieb Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
> Hello,
>
> LC6 and 8. Again and again I have customers, where my program doesn't gets
> an internet connection with standard "put URL foo into res". This happens
> only at "institutional customers" with "bigger" networks, obviously with
> proxy servers, firewalls, etc. On "private" PCs I never happen this. The
> user can setup the proxy credentials in my program, that is ok for some
> customers. At other customers my program still doesn't gets access to the
> internet and often the admin of the customer doesn't find the reason what is
> blocking my program. Usually most firewalls pop up with a request, if they
> are blocking a new program, but in these cases the firewalls keep silent, so
> it is hard to find the reason.
>

> Am I right, that using "put URL" is a standard http:// protocol via port
> 8080? Or is there a special port being used by LC?
>

> Are there any ideas from your experience, what and how to check for to find
> the blocking factor in a customer network?
>

> Thanks for your experiences
>
> Tiemo

Re: which port is beeing used with get URL?

Do tsnet commands hit the same network blocks as put?

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 19, 2017, at 5:05 AM, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Timo,
>
> a firewall setting also might cause this. Many security tools have a app control included which controls the network access of applications. It could be that the LC app is not allowed to do any networking.  Can you check with the  customer which Antivirus/Firewall software is used?
>
> Matthias
>

> Matthias Rebbe
> +49 5741 310000
> matthiasrebbe.eu <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/>
>
>> Am 19.05.2017 um 10:40 schrieb Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> LC6 and 8. Again and again I have customers, where my program doesn't gets
>> an internet connection with standard "put URL foo into res". This happens
>> only at "institutional customers" with "bigger" networks, obviously with
>> proxy servers, firewalls, etc. On "private" PCs I never happen this. The
>> user can setup the proxy credentials in my program, that is ok for some
>> customers. At other customers my program still doesn't gets access to the
>> internet and often the admin of the customer doesn't find the reason what is
>> blocking my program. Usually most firewalls pop up with a request, if they
>> are blocking a new program, but in these cases the firewalls keep silent, so
>> it is hard to find the reason.
>>

>> Am I right, that using "put URL" is a standard http:// protocol via port
>> 8080? Or is there a special port being used by LC?
>>

>> Are there any ideas from your experience, what and how to check for to find
>> the blocking factor in a customer network?
>>

>> Thanks for your experiences
>>
>> Tiemo

AW: which port is beeing used with get URL?

There are different firewalls used at different customers. Sometimes, even
the admin of the customer has no knowledge or access to the firewalls. E.g.
a lot of public schools are routed thru the federal states network of their
state and the admin of the school doesn't have access to that network.

I didn't tested yet the pure tsnet commands. Perhaps I should create a test
program with that. Unfortunately often the admins are very impatient and
have no joy in testing different situations.

Thanks for your ideas
Tiemo

Do tsnet commands hit the same network blocks as put?

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 19, 2017, at 5:05 AM, Matthias Rebbe via use-livecode
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Timo,
>
> a firewall setting also might cause this. Many security tools have a app
control included which controls the network access of applications. It could
be that the LC app is not allowed to do any networking.  Can you check with
the  customer which Antivirus/Firewall software is used?

> Matthias
>

> Matthias Rebbe
> +49 5741 310000
> matthiasrebbe.eu <http://matthiasrebbe.eu/>
>
>> Am 19.05.2017 um 10:40 schrieb Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode
<[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:

>> Hello,
>>
>> LC6 and 8. Again and again I have customers, where my program doesn't
>> gets an internet connection with standard "put URL foo into res".
>> This happens only at "institutional customers" with "bigger"
>> networks, obviously with proxy servers, firewalls, etc. On "private"
>> PCs I never happen this. The user can setup the proxy credentials in
>> my program, that is ok for some customers. At other customers my
>> program still doesn't gets access to the internet and often the admin
>> of the customer doesn't find the reason what is blocking my program.
>> Usually most firewalls pop up with a request, if they are blocking a
>> new program, but in these cases the firewalls keep silent, so it is hard
to find the reason.

>> Am I right, that using "put URL" is a standard http:// protocol via
>> port 8080? Or is there a special port being used by LC?
>>

>> Are there any ideas from your experience, what and how to check for
>> to find the blocking factor in a customer network?
>>

>> Thanks for your experiences
>>
>> Tiemo

Re: which port is beeing used with get URL?

You will never get this completely right. I go on customer networks all the live long day, and there are places where IT people seem more interested in preventing communication than enabling it. Also, as mentioned, some anti-malware software is horrible. One particular one was preventing a user from printing to a brand new copier from his Windows 10 desktop. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure it out, then I said, "Just for kicks and grins, let's disable your AV software." Worked a peach.

Bob S

> On May 19, 2017, at 02:00 , Mark Waddingham via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 2017-05-19 10:40, Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode wrote:
>> Am I right, that using "put URL" is a standard http:// protocol via port
>> 8080? Or is there a special port being used by LC?
>
> HTTP is port 80 - HTTPS is port 443.
>
> LC does not do anything non-standard here (unless you specify, e.g. http://livecode.com:93).
>
>> Are there any ideas from your experience, what and how to check for to find
>> the blocking factor in a customer network?
>
> Right, so - we know there are problems with LiveCode's networking stack communicating in some network environments. However, the problem is that we're not sure what configurations are actually causing the problem.
>
> Trevor DeVore has done a lot of work over the years to help improve the internet settings auto-discovery, to make LiveCode much better in this regard; however, things still aren't perfect.
>
> If we can find a way to fetch all the info about places which are not letting libURL work, then we can look into making it work... The problem is working out how to collect that information.
>
> If anyone has any ideas on this score then that would be most helpful!
>
> Warmest Regards,
>
> Mark.
>
> --
> Mark Waddingham ~ [hidden email] ~ http://www.livecode.com/
> LiveCode: Everyone can create apps

Re: which port is beeing used with get URL?

On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 3:40 AM, Tiemo Hollmann TB via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> LC6 and 8. Again and again I have customers, where my program doesn't gets
> an internet connection with standard "put URL foo into res". This happens
> only at "institutional customers" with "bigger" networks, obviously with
> proxy servers, firewalls, etc. On "private" PCs I never happen this. The
> user can setup the proxy credentials in my program, that is ok for some
> customers. At other customers my program still doesn't gets access to the
> internet and often the admin of the customer doesn't find the reason what
> is
> blocking my program. Usually most firewalls pop up with a request, if they
> are blocking a new program, but in these cases the firewalls keep silent,
> so
> it is hard to find the reason.

> Are there any ideas from your experience, what and how to check for to find
> the blocking factor in a customer network?

Over the years I've had to use lots of logging and error reporting in order
to get to the bottom of internet issues. I have a way for users to turn on
logging and all of the ulLogIt messages that liburl generates are logged to
a file (just intercept it in a frontscript).

In the current version of libUrl I'm aware of two major issues that can
affect users on a corporate network -

1. If the network uses a proxy server for HTTPS traffic then the CONNECT
protocol will be used. libURL swallows up the headers you send along with
your URL, however. If your url request requires headers, it is using the
https protocol, and the request is going through a proxy then the request
will fail.

2. If the network requires NTLM authentication then the request will fail.
When I've used libURL in the past I had an external that Altuit provided
years ago. tsNet has NTLM built in and I recently switched to tsNet because
of [1]. The current version of tsNet doesn't pick up proxy information on
some platforms and doesn't report 40x errors the same way as libUrl but
those issues have been addressed for the next release.

It may also be that the IT department has to whitelist the domains that our
desktop app is trying to connect. I provide a help document for my app that
tells IT departments the domains that the app connects to.

--
Trevor DeVore
ScreenSteps

Re: which port is beeing used with get URL?

That may be because NTLM has a V1 and V2. It may be that tsNet does not use one or the other, probably V2.

Bob S