windowShape Lubuntu Linux and xcompmgr

Alejandro Tejada
Hi all,

Some weeks ago, I reported that windowShape was
not working in my Lubuntu Linux setup.

After looking around and testing many recipes,
finally I found the program that works in
my setup.

The windowshape property was not working in
Lubuntu Linux because it does not include, by
default a composite manager.

Tested XFCE without success, surely as a result
of my inexperience with Lubuntu.

Then, downloaded and installed xcompmgr
from the Ubuntu repositories and found
the commands that make it work.

In the Lubuntu Menu, open:
Preferences>Default applications for LXSession

paste the following line within:
Running applications --> Composite Manager

xcompmgr -c -C -t-5 -l-5 -r4.2 -o.0 &

and select Apply, then Reload and finally
Autostart > true

Now, LiveCode could apply the windowshape
and the blendlevel to stacks running under
Lubuntu Linux.

Al

Re: windowShape Lubuntu Linux and xcompmgr

Richmond Mathewson-2
On 01/01/14 23:15, Alejandro Tejada wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Some weeks ago, I reported that windowShape was
> not working in my Lubuntu Linux setup.
>
> After looking around and testing many recipes,
> finally I found the program that works in
> my setup.
>
> The windowshape property was not working in
> Lubuntu Linux because it does not include, by
> default a composite manager.

Compositing is essential for transparency and funny shapes.

What your posting does tell us, which is a problem is that we cannot
guarantee an end-user of a Linux system will have compositing set up.

Richmond.

> Tested XFCE without success, surely as a result
> of my inexperience with Lubuntu.
>
> Then, downloaded and installed xcompmgr
> from the Ubuntu repositories and found
> the commands that make it work.
>
> In the Lubuntu Menu, open:
> Preferences>Default applications for LXSession
>
> paste the following line within:
> Running applications --> Composite Manager
>
> xcompmgr -c -C -t-5 -l-5 -r4.2 -o.0 &
>
> and select Apply, then Reload and finally
> Autostart > true
>
> Now, LiveCode could apply the windowshape
> and the blendlevel to stacks running under
> Lubuntu Linux.
>
> Al

Re: windowShape Lubuntu Linux and xcompmgr

Alejandro Tejada
For some reason, I have always perceived the Linux
platform as a "Do-It-Yourself" platform... :)

Al

On 03/01/14 20:44, Alejandro Tejada wrote:
> For some reason, I have always perceived the Linux
> platform as a "Do-It-Yourself" platform... :)
>
> Al

Better to think of it as
"Do-It-Yourself-With-Advice-From-Other-People-Platform"

see Isaac Newton:

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Re: windowShape Lubuntu Linux and xcompmgr

Alejandro Tejada
Richmond Mathewson-2 wrote
Better to think of Linux as
"Do-It-Yourself-With-Advice-From-Other-People-Platform"
see Isaac Newton:
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
True! :D

Now, I need a giant that explains me
How To configure and use Valentina
LiveCode Externals and Valentina
Studio on Lubuntu... :o

Their Documents DO NOT explains this in detail
so, by implication, anyone who uses Valentina
should bring this knowledge from previous
experiences dealing with other databases...

Al

Re: windowShape Lubuntu Linux and xcompmgr

Roger Eller
Does this help?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtZUSoEb4ec

~Roger

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 3:50 PM, Alejandro Tejada <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Richmond Mathewson-2 wrote
> > Better to think of Linux as
> > "Do-It-Yourself-With-Advice-From-Other-People-Platform"
> > see Isaac Newton:
> > "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
>
> True! :D
>
> Now, I need a giant that explains me
> How To configure and use Valentina
> LiveCode Externals and Valentina
> Studio on Lubuntu... :o
>
> Their Documents DO NOT explains this in detail
> so, by implication, anyone who uses Valentina
> should bring this knowledge from previous
> experiences dealing with other databases...
>
> Al

Re: windowShape Lubuntu Linux and xcompmgr

Alejandro Tejada
Roger Eller wrote
Probably, this video would be more useful
if letters were legible... and not blurry.

A PDF guide with full size screenshots will work
better, at least for me.

Al

Re: windowShape Lubuntu Linux and xcompmgr

Roger Eller
I didn't make this video.  I just happened to remember it being shared a
few weeks ago.

~Roger

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 5:05 PM, Alejandro Tejada <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Roger Eller wrote
> > Does this help?
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtZUSoEb4ec
>
> Probably, this video would be more useful
> if letters were legible... and not blurry.
>
> A PDF guide with full size screenshots will work
> better, at least for me.
>
> Al

Re: windowShape Lubuntu Linux and xcompmgr

Ruslan Zasukhin-2
On 1/3/14, 11:13 PM, "Roger Eller" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thank you, Roger.

We have added even more videos.
All existed now videos for LiveCode can be found
on this page of Valentina WIKI

<http://www.valentina-db.com/docs/dokuwiki/v5/doku.php?id=valentina:video:v4
rev:v4rev>

Added video about how to use Valentina Reports in LiveCode App.

--
Best regards,

Ruslan Zasukhin
VP Engineering and New Technology
Paradigma Software, Inc

http://www.paradigmasoft.com

[I feel the need: the need for speed]

Re: windowShape Lubuntu Linux and xcompmgr

Alejandro Tejada
Hi Ruslan,

Ruslan Zasukhin-2 wrote
Thank you, Roger.
We have added even more videos.
All existed now videos for LiveCode can be found
on this page of Valentina WIKI
http://www.valentina-db.com/docs/dokuwiki/v5/doku.php?id=valentina:video:v4rev:v4rev
Added video about how to use Valentina Reports in LiveCode App.
Did you notice that small letter in these videos
is really hard or impossible to read?
A PDF file explaining the same procedure would be
really useful.

Thanks in advance!

Al

Re: windowShape Lubuntu Linux and xcompmgr

Roger Eller
I would tend to agree that having a PDF guide would be a useful addition to
the videos.  The thing about documentation though, is that often, critical
steps can be either overlooked or intentionally left out with the thought
that "everyone knows how to do that".  I look at low-res video guides as
something to follow "as I do it", so if I can see in the video precisely
"where" to click, I can read it clearly on my own screen.  I just pause the
video frequently as I work through the steps.  I think it's great to have
options though.

~Roger

On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 12:35 PM, Alejandro Tejada <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi Ruslan,
>

> Ruslan Zasukhin-2 wrote
> > Thank you, Roger.
> > We have added even more videos.
> > All existed now videos for LiveCode can be found
> > on this page of Valentina WIKI
> >
> http://www.valentina-db.com/docs/dokuwiki/v5/doku.php?id=valentina:video:v4rev:v4rev
> > Added video about how to use Valentina Reports in LiveCode App.
>
> Did you notice that small letter in these videos
> is really hard or impossible to read?
> A PDF file explaining the same procedure would be
> really useful.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Al

Re: windowShape Lubuntu Linux and xcompmgr

Ruslan Zasukhin-2
On 1/5/14, 9:47 PM, "Roger Eller" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Guys,

I think you need just switch to  720 dpi when watching video.

On right side bottom, button "settings"
    choose 720 dpi.

We don't know why, but youtube on default set 480 dpi,
Although video itself is 720.

--
Best regards,

Ruslan Zasukhin
VP Engineering and New Technology
Paradigma Software, Inc

http://www.paradigmasoft.com

[I feel the need: the need for speed]

Re: windowShape Lubuntu Linux and xcompmgr

Ruslan Zasukhin-2
On 1/5/14, 10:50 PM, "Ruslan Zasukhin" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

If you have a fast Internet connection, you can change your settings to make
sure videos always play in HD qualities when they┬╣re available:
    1.    Go to your Settings page
    2.    Select Always play HD on fullscreen (when available)
    3.    Click the Save button

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/91449?hl=en

--
Best regards,

Ruslan Zasukhin
VP Engineering and New Technology
Paradigma Software, Inc

http://www.paradigmasoft.com

[I feel the need: the need for speed]

Re: windowShape Lubuntu Linux and xcompmgr

Alejandro Tejada
Great to know! :D

I will download the 720p version
using this webpage: