xCode ??? version

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
I have iOS 10.3.1, and OSX 10.12.4
LC 9.0.0 (dp6) and LC 8.1.4 (RC1).

These two latest versions of LiveCode don’t seem to support XCode 8.3 which is required for iOS 10.3.1, I can’t get my app onto my iPhone now.

Hopefully a new version that will support the latest iOS will come soon.
Or, am I missing something?
Bill P

William A. Prothero
http://earthlearningsolution.org/

Re: xCode ??? version

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
tldr - don’t use Xcode 8.3 yet, you can still build for iOS 10.3

Bill the Release Notes are a good place to check such issues. The following is an extract for release notes for LiveCode 8.1.4(rc1)

iOS

iOS deployment is possible when running LiveCode IDE on a Mac, and provided Xcode is installed and has been set in LiveCode Preferences (in the Mobile Support pane).

3

LiveCode 8.1.4-rc-1 Release Notes 4/4/17

Currently, the supported versions of Xcode are:

Xcode 4.6 on MacOS X 10.7
Xcode 5.1 on MacOS X 10.8
Xcode 6.2 on MacOS X 10.9
Xcode 6.2 and 7.2 on Mac OS X 10.10 Xcode 8.2 on MacOS X 10.11

Xcode 8.2 on MacOS 10.12

It is also possible to set other versions of Xcode, to allow testing on a wider range of iOS simulators. For instance, on OS X 10.10 (Yosemite), you can add Xcode 5.1 in the Mobile Support preferences, to let you test your stack on the iOS Simulator 7.1.

We currently support deployment for the following versions of iOS:

6.1 [simulator] 7.1 [simulator] 8.2 [simulator] 9.2

10.2

Re: xCode ??? version

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
When I load the app into the Simulator, with xCode 8.2.1, then go to the menu “Hardware/Manage Devices” menu, I get the message that says:
“Could not locate device support files. The iPhone 6 is running iOS 10.3.1, which may not be supported by this version of Xcode.”

So, it looks to me like Livecode 8.1.4(rc1) does not support iOS 10.3.1, the latest version.

Does this seem reasonable.
Xcode versions 8.3 is not supported by the latest livecode releases.
Can I hope that this will be fixed soon?
Bill P

> On May 3, 2017, at 12:10 AM, Dave Kilroy via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> tldr - don’t use Xcode 8.3 yet, you can still build for iOS 10.3
>

> Bill the Release Notes are a good place to check such issues. The following is an extract for release notes for LiveCode 8.1.4(rc1)
>
> iOS
>
> iOS deployment is possible when running LiveCode IDE on a Mac, and provided Xcode is installed and has been set in LiveCode Preferences (in the Mobile Support pane).
>

> 3
>
> LiveCode 8.1.4-rc-1 Release Notes 4/4/17
>
> Currently, the supported versions of Xcode are:
>
> Xcode 4.6 on MacOS X 10.7
> Xcode 5.1 on MacOS X 10.8
> Xcode 6.2 on MacOS X 10.9
> Xcode 6.2 and 7.2 on Mac OS X 10.10 Xcode 8.2 on MacOS X 10.11
>
> Xcode 8.2 on MacOS 10.12
>
> It is also possible to set other versions of Xcode, to allow testing on a wider range of iOS simulators. For instance, on OS X 10.10 (Yosemite), you can add Xcode 5.1 in the Mobile Support preferences, to let you test your stack on the iOS Simulator 7.1.
>
> We currently support deployment for the following versions of iOS:
>
> 6.1 [simulator] 7.1 [simulator] 8.2 [simulator] 9.2
>
> 10.2

Re: xCode ??? version

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Note: I see, from the release notes that the highest iOS version supported is 10.2.
Hopefully this will change. Next update? I use my app and depend on it, so i’m keenly interested in having it on my iPhone, I probably should have waited to update the iOS system, but…… silly me.
Best,
Bill P

> On May 3, 2017, at 11:07 AM, William Prothero via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> When I load the app into the Simulator, with xCode 8.2.1, then go to the menu “Hardware/Manage Devices” menu, I get the message that says:
> “Could not locate device support files. The iPhone 6 is running iOS 10.3.1, which may not be supported by this version of Xcode.”
>
> So, it looks to me like Livecode 8.1.4(rc1) does not support iOS 10.3.1, the latest version.
>
> Does this seem reasonable.
> Xcode versions 8.3 is not supported by the latest livecode releases.
> Can I hope that this will be fixed soon?
> Bill P
>
>> On May 3, 2017, at 12:10 AM, Dave Kilroy via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> tldr - don’t use Xcode 8.3 yet, you can still build for iOS 10.3
>>

>> Bill the Release Notes are a good place to check such issues. The following is an extract for release notes for LiveCode 8.1.4(rc1)
>>
>> iOS
>>
>> iOS deployment is possible when running LiveCode IDE on a Mac, and provided Xcode is installed and has been set in LiveCode Preferences (in the Mobile Support pane).
>>

>> 3
>>
>> LiveCode 8.1.4-rc-1 Release Notes 4/4/17
>>
>> Currently, the supported versions of Xcode are:
>>
>> Xcode 4.6 on MacOS X 10.7
>> Xcode 5.1 on MacOS X 10.8
>> Xcode 6.2 on MacOS X 10.9
>> Xcode 6.2 and 7.2 on Mac OS X 10.10 Xcode 8.2 on MacOS X 10.11
>>
>> Xcode 8.2 on MacOS 10.12
>>
>> It is also possible to set other versions of Xcode, to allow testing on a wider range of iOS simulators. For instance, on OS X 10.10 (Yosemite), you can add Xcode 5.1 in the Mobile Support preferences, to let you test your stack on the iOS Simulator 7.1.
>>
>> We currently support deployment for the following versions of iOS:
>>
>> 6.1 [simulator] 7.1 [simulator] 8.2 [simulator] 9.2
>>
>> 10.2

Re: xCode ??? version

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Hi Bill,

Several issues mentioned here:

is 10.2.

1) This may not be very clear, but what this means is that the highest
version of *iOS SDK* which you can use **to build** the iOS standalone is
10.2. This is different from the iOS deployment target, which can be
specified in the standalone settings for iOS (e.g. "10.0 or later").
This means that any app you build will run on devices with future iOS
versions.

2) LiveCode 8.1.4 RC2 will support Xcode 8.3.x, e.g it will support
**building** with iOS 10.3 SDK (which is included in Xcode 8.3.x)

3) Back to the original error message (“Could not locate device support
files. The iPhone 6 is running iOS 10.3.1, which may not be supported by
this version of Xcode.”), I think I have seen that in the past when trying
to install the app into a device. I am not 100% sure (I cannot remember)
but I think the app was installed, regardless of this error. Could you
please double-check?

Best,
Panos
--

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 7:13 PM, William Prothero via use-livecode <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Note: I see, from the release notes that the highest iOS version supported
> is 10.2.
> Hopefully this will change. Next update? I use my app and depend on it, so
> i’m keenly interested in having it on my iPhone, I probably should have
> waited to update the iOS system, but…… silly me.
> Best,
> Bill P
>
> > On May 3, 2017, at 11:07 AM, William Prothero via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > When I load the app into the Simulator, with xCode 8.2.1, then go to the
> menu “Hardware/Manage Devices” menu, I get the message that says:
> > “Could not locate device support files. The iPhone 6 is running iOS
> 10.3.1, which may not be supported by this version of Xcode.”
> >
> > So, it looks to me like Livecode 8.1.4(rc1) does not support iOS 10.3.1,
> the latest version.
> >
> > Does this seem reasonable.
> > Xcode versions 8.3 is not supported by the latest livecode releases.
> > Can I hope that this will be fixed soon?
> > Bill P
> >
> >> On May 3, 2017, at 12:10 AM, Dave Kilroy via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> tldr - don’t use Xcode 8.3 yet, you can still build for iOS 10.3
> >>

> >> Bill the Release Notes are a good place to check such issues. The
> following is an extract for release notes for LiveCode 8.1.4(rc1)
> >>
> >> iOS
> >>
> >> iOS deployment is possible when running LiveCode IDE on a Mac, and
> provided Xcode is installed and has been set in LiveCode Preferences (in
> the Mobile Support pane).
> >>

> >> 3
> >>
> >> LiveCode 8.1.4-rc-1 Release Notes 4/4/17
> >>
> >> Currently, the supported versions of Xcode are:
> >>
> >> Xcode 4.6 on MacOS X 10.7
> >> Xcode 5.1 on MacOS X 10.8
> >> Xcode 6.2 on MacOS X 10.9
> >> Xcode 6.2 and 7.2 on Mac OS X 10.10 Xcode 8.2 on MacOS X 10.11
> >>
> >> Xcode 8.2 on MacOS 10.12
> >>
> >> It is also possible to set other versions of Xcode, to allow testing on
> a wider range of iOS simulators. For instance, on OS X 10.10 (Yosemite),
> you can add Xcode 5.1 in the Mobile Support preferences, to let you test
> your stack on the iOS Simulator 7.1.
> >>
> >> We currently support deployment for the following versions of iOS:
> >>
> >> 6.1 [simulator] 7.1 [simulator] 8.2 [simulator] 9.2
> >>
> >> 10.2

Re: xCode ??? version

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
I’ve seen this warning in Xcode when connecting my iPhone 5s after updating it, but copying my LC app on to the phone still works and the app runs OK, just can’t use the simulator.

Anyway, just try it, preferably without overwriting any currently working app, and it should be fine.

Paul

Paul
[hidden email]

Mac OS Sierra 10.12.1

> On May 3, 2017, at 11:13 AM, William Prothero via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Note: I see, from the release notes that the highest iOS version supported is 10.2.
> Hopefully this will change. Next update? I use my app and depend on it, so i’m keenly interested in having it on my iPhone, I probably should have waited to update the iOS system, but…… silly me.
> Best,
> Bill P
>
>> On May 3, 2017, at 11:07 AM, William Prothero via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> When I load the app into the Simulator, with xCode 8.2.1, then go to the menu “Hardware/Manage Devices” menu, I get the message that says:
>> “Could not locate device support files. The iPhone 6 is running iOS 10.3.1, which may not be supported by this version of Xcode.”
>>
>> So, it looks to me like Livecode 8.1.4(rc1) does not support iOS 10.3.1, the latest version.
>>
>> Does this seem reasonable.
>> Xcode versions 8.3 is not supported by the latest livecode releases.
>> Can I hope that this will be fixed soon?
>> Bill P
>>
>>> On May 3, 2017, at 12:10 AM, Dave Kilroy via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> tldr - don’t use Xcode 8.3 yet, you can still build for iOS 10.3
>>>

>>> Bill the Release Notes are a good place to check such issues. The following is an extract for release notes for LiveCode 8.1.4(rc1)
>>>
>>> iOS
>>>
>>> iOS deployment is possible when running LiveCode IDE on a Mac, and provided Xcode is installed and has been set in LiveCode Preferences (in the Mobile Support pane).
>>>

>>> 3
>>>
>>> LiveCode 8.1.4-rc-1 Release Notes 4/4/17
>>>
>>> Currently, the supported versions of Xcode are:
>>>
>>> Xcode 4.6 on MacOS X 10.7
>>> Xcode 5.1 on MacOS X 10.8
>>> Xcode 6.2 on MacOS X 10.9
>>> Xcode 6.2 and 7.2 on Mac OS X 10.10 Xcode 8.2 on MacOS X 10.11
>>>
>>> Xcode 8.2 on MacOS 10.12
>>>
>>> It is also possible to set other versions of Xcode, to allow testing on a wider range of iOS simulators. For instance, on OS X 10.10 (Yosemite), you can add Xcode 5.1 in the Mobile Support preferences, to let you test your stack on the iOS Simulator 7.1.
>>>
>>> We currently support deployment for the following versions of iOS:
>>>
>>> 6.1 [simulator] 7.1 [simulator] 8.2 [simulator] 9.2
>>>
>>> 10.2

Re: xCode ??? version

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Panos:
Thanks for the response.
Just checked. It did not install. There is a version that I made with before my upgrade to iOS 10.3.1 and it still works. But, the new version didn’t install over it.
Bill

> On May 3, 2017, at 11:26 AM, panagiotis merakos via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Bill,
>
> Several issues mentioned here:

> is 10.2.
>
> 1) This may not be very clear, but what this means is that the highest
> version of *iOS SDK* which you can use **to build** the iOS standalone is
> 10.2. This is different from the iOS deployment target, which can be
> specified in the standalone settings for iOS (e.g. "10.0 or later").
> This means that any app you build will run on devices with future iOS
> versions.
>
> 2) LiveCode 8.1.4 RC2 will support Xcode 8.3.x, e.g it will support
> **building** with iOS 10.3 SDK (which is included in Xcode 8.3.x)
>
> 3) Back to the original error message (“Could not locate device support
> files. The iPhone 6 is running iOS 10.3.1, which may not be supported by
> this version of Xcode.”), I think I have seen that in the past when trying
> to install the app into a device. I am not 100% sure (I cannot remember)
> but I think the app was installed, regardless of this error. Could you
> please double-check?
>
> Best,
> Panos
> --
>

> On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 7:13 PM, William Prothero via use-livecode <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Note: I see, from the release notes that the highest iOS version supported
>> is 10.2.
>> Hopefully this will change. Next update? I use my app and depend on it, so
>> i’m keenly interested in having it on my iPhone, I probably should have
>> waited to update the iOS system, but…… silly me.
>> Best,
>> Bill P
>>
>>> On May 3, 2017, at 11:07 AM, William Prothero via use-livecode <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> When I load the app into the Simulator, with xCode 8.2.1, then go to the
>> menu “Hardware/Manage Devices” menu, I get the message that says:
>>> “Could not locate device support files. The iPhone 6 is running iOS
>> 10.3.1, which may not be supported by this version of Xcode.”
>>>
>>> So, it looks to me like Livecode 8.1.4(rc1) does not support iOS 10.3.1,
>> the latest version.
>>>
>>> Does this seem reasonable.
>>> Xcode versions 8.3 is not supported by the latest livecode releases.
>>> Can I hope that this will be fixed soon?
>>> Bill P

>> following is an extract for release notes for LiveCode 8.1.4(rc1)

>> provided Xcode is installed and has been set in LiveCode Preferences (in
>> the Mobile Support pane).

>> a wider range of iOS simulators. For instance, on OS X 10.10 (Yosemite),
>> you can add Xcode 5.1 in the Mobile Support preferences, to let you test
>> your stack on the iOS Simulator 7.1.

RE: Xcode ??? version

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
I can deploy to 9.3.5 and 10.3.1 using

MacBook OSX 10.11.6
LC 8.1.4 rc1
Xcode 8.2.1

I do get a warning in the "Devices" window for the 10.3.1 devices but I can still install/delete/run apps.

To have simulators from 6 thru 10 in the LC prefs using these versions of Xcode.

8.2.1 ==> v10.2 Simulator/SDK
7.1.2 ==> v9.2 Simulator/SDK
6.2   ==> v8.2 Simulator/SDK
5.1.1 ==> v7.1 Simulator/SDK
4.6.3 ==> v6.1 Simulator/SDK

That being said....
Xcode 8.3.2 requirements:
1) OSX 10.12 (look like I'm upgrading soon...)
2) New version of LiveCode with Xcode 8.3.2 support.

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
[hidden email]

I’ve seen this warning in Xcode when connecting my iPhone 5s after updating it, but copying my LC app on to the phone still works and the app runs OK, just can’t use the simulator.

Anyway, just try it, preferably without overwriting any currently working app, and it should be fine.

Paul

Paul
[hidden email]

Mac OS Sierra 10.12.1

> On May 3, 2017, at 11:13 AM, William Prothero via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Note: I see, from the release notes that the highest iOS version supported is 10.2.
> Hopefully this will change. Next update? I use my app and depend on it, so i’m keenly interested in having it on my iPhone, I probably should have waited to update the iOS system, but…… silly me.
> Best,
> Bill P
>
>> On May 3, 2017, at 11:07 AM, William Prothero via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> When I load the app into the Simulator, with xCode 8.2.1, then go to the menu “Hardware/Manage Devices” menu, I get the message that says:
>> “Could not locate device support files. The iPhone 6 is running iOS 10.3.1, which may not be supported by this version of Xcode.”
>>
>> So, it looks to me like Livecode 8.1.4(rc1) does not support iOS 10.3.1, the latest version.
>>
>> Does this seem reasonable.
>> Xcode versions 8.3 is not supported by the latest livecode releases.
>> Can I hope that this will be fixed soon?
>> Bill P
>>
>>> On May 3, 2017, at 12:10 AM, Dave Kilroy via use-livecode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> tldr - don’t use Xcode 8.3 yet, you can still build for iOS 10.3
>>>

>>> Bill the Release Notes are a good place to check such issues. The following is an extract for release notes for LiveCode 8.1.4(rc1)
>>>
>>> iOS
>>>
>>> iOS deployment is possible when running LiveCode IDE on a Mac, and provided Xcode is installed and has been set in LiveCode Preferences (in the Mobile Support pane).
>>>

>>> 3
>>>
>>> LiveCode 8.1.4-rc-1 Release Notes 4/4/17
>>>
>>> Currently, the supported versions of Xcode are:
>>>
>>> Xcode 4.6 on MacOS X 10.7
>>> Xcode 5.1 on MacOS X 10.8
>>> Xcode 6.2 on MacOS X 10.9
>>> Xcode 6.2 and 7.2 on Mac OS X 10.10 Xcode 8.2 on MacOS X 10.11
>>>
>>> Xcode 8.2 on MacOS 10.12
>>>
>>> It is also possible to set other versions of Xcode, to allow testing on a wider range of iOS simulators. For instance, on OS X 10.10 (Yosemite), you can add Xcode 5.1 in the Mobile Support preferences, to let you test your stack on the iOS Simulator 7.1.
>>>
>>> We currently support deployment for the following versions of iOS:
>>>
>>> 6.1 [simulator] 7.1 [simulator] 8.2 [simulator] 9.2
>>>
>>> 10.2

Re: Xcode ??? version

Bob Sneidar via use-livecode
Ok, you’re right! Sheesh! When I got the error alert, I assumed I couldn’t load the app on the phone. Yes, I got it loaded and it works.
Sorry for the drama. Someday this whole thing will get burned into my brain and I’ll be able to easily cope with the constant updates of Xcode, IOS, and LC.

Thanks for the very patient help and feedback.

Best,
Bill